FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 & AVC Intra

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Williams
FCP 7 & AVC Intra
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:01:25 pm

A client is looking to upgrade to FCP 7 because he wants to take advantage of AVC Intra. anybody doing this now? Would love to hear if the group thinks this is a good idea.

Thanks,

mike

Michael V. Williams
producer/editor
http://www.vernonvision.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 & AVC Intra
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:06:25 pm

The import option in LOG AND TRANSFER now has AVCIntra Native as an import option....so importing that is fast, and lighter than ProRes. BUT...you cannot have an AVCIntra Native sequence. Odd, but true. So you can import AVCI, but your sequence settings should be ProRes and you will be rendering to ProRes.

Or get the great tools from MXF4QT or Calibrated or Raylight and edit the MXF files natively, without the need to import.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Williams
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:30:07 pm

Thanks, Shane.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:40:45 pm

Everything that Shane says. MXF4mac has just released P2 Flow as well which is a hnady application for handling native MXF files in FCP with complete metadata.

We shoot a lot of AVC-I and the files go in to a ProRes HQ sequence (FCP default).

It works very well and the rt is fantastic.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bruce Feagle
on Sep 3, 2009 at 5:42:29 am

Hi guys,

What kind of RT performance could be expected with wrapped AVCI clips? What about rendering time?

Thanks

Bruce Feagle

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:29:16 pm

[Bruce Feagle] "What kind of RT performance could be expected with wrapped AVCI clips?"

The clips come in with a green bar over them and every clip eventually has to be rendered, but the rendering goes very fast. The rt is roughly the same as editing with ProRes or HQ.

Return to posts index

Hector Silva
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:20:23 pm

The reason why it's roughly the same speed of RT as ProRes is because it is ProRes.

Final Cut now knows how to play back the clips in the timeline, but any changes will be rendered out in ProRes since there is no way for Final Cut to write new AVC-I video, it's just too intensive. So Apple's claims of native AVC-Intra editing is kind of a half-truth. The footage is native, but transitions and other new elements are not.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 4, 2009 at 4:23:34 pm

[Hector Silva] "The reason why it's roughly the same speed of RT as ProRes is because it is ProRes.
"

No, it's not. The clips that are being decoded are AVC-I, the are just not getting reencoded to AVC-I. So basically, you are playing a different codec within a ProRes timeline. So it's not exactly ProRes (unless you choose to transcode to ProRes in log and transfer). If you put an AVC-I clip in a ProResHQ timeline with no transitions or effects, the render times are very fast.

[Hector Silva] "The footage is native, but transitions and other new elements are not. "

Correct.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]