FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD-DV to BetaSP, workflow /DecklinkSP ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ninetto makavejev
SD-DV to BetaSP, workflow /DecklinkSP ?
on Sep 2, 2009 at 8:46:21 am

Hello,

after completing an SD-edit, the client (an art institution) has decided they want a BetaSP tape. There is little compositing, except for the subtitle graphics.

I have access to a Decklink Blackmagic SP card with outputs for a BetaSP-deck. But would this really be better than tape, i.e.

Would it make sense to drop the finished sequence into an uncompressed or ProRes sequence, for better quality output direct to the BetaSP deck? I beleieve I could use the SDI outputs of the Decklink card.

Or is the quality of SD-DV so low anyway, that I could just transfer the finished edit to DV tape, and use that as the master to produce the BetaSP that the client wants?

thankful for any advice,
ninetto

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: SD-DV to BetaSP, workflow /DecklinkSP ?
on Sep 2, 2009 at 12:00:18 pm

Hi Ninetto,
the quality of the DV footage can be very much improved in postproduction.
Edit in a rendering in a sequence with a codec better than DV (at least DV50. Better Prores), Chroma Smoothing (Nattress), color Correction and "Render in high Precision". Then print to video through a good video card. Its worth the extra work and time.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

ninetto makavejev
on Sep 2, 2009 at 6:54:05 pm

Thanks for the info and motivation!

I suppose the workflow is a bit backwards, but since the DV edit is done already, it is OK to just drop the finished edited DV sequence into a new ProRes sequence, and render that out as you suggested? Or do I have re-convert (via Media-Manager) or recapture the raw DV master material?

regards,
ninetto

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:49:29 am

Hi Ninetto,
If the movie is already rendered and don't think you will get any improvement converting it in Prores. Just play it through the video card.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]