FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 crashing when updating a project file from FCP 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Eagan
Final Cut Pro 7 crashing when updating a project file from FCP 6
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:31:24 am

Hi there,

Just updated to FCP 7 and when trying to open and update a FCP 6 project file (with all files online in Capture Scratch) my Final Cut crashes every time. The project file is only 11 mb in size.

Can't figure this out and really need to access that project file ASAP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

System:

Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of RAM

Jon

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 crashing when updating a project file from FCP 6
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:35:01 am

Did you perform a clean install of your OS and FCP 7?

What media array are you using?

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Owner, Biscardi Creative Media featuring HD Post

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Eagan
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:38:30 am

Hi Peter,

thanks for the help. No - I simply updated my older version of Studio 2 to Studio 3.

It's a small project so I'm simply using a single external 500 GB drive connected via USB. I'm working remotely so the media is on a small USB connected device.

Forgive me if I haven't answered your question re: Media Array. Could you be more specific?

Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Eagan
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:39:18 am

Sorry!

hi WALTER...

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:48:49 am

Did you clone your system drive before upgrading?

If not, search for "Snow Leopard 101" on this forum and read carefully.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:59:43 am

[David Roth Weiss] "Did you clone your system drive before upgrading?

If not, search for "Snow Leopard 101" on this forum and read carefully. "

Did he upgrade to Snow Leopard? He only mentions FCP 6 to 7 which does not require Snow Leopard.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Aug 29, 2009 at 12:58:24 am

[Jonathan Eagan] "thanks for the help. No - I simply updated my older version of Studio 2 to Studio 3.
"

Would have been better if you did a clean install of the OS and FCS 3.

[Jonathan Eagan] "It's a small project so I'm simply using a single external 500 GB drive connected via USB. I'm working remotely so the media is on a small USB connected device. "

That's a BIG no-no with video editing. You should be at least a FW400 drive. USB does not have sustained throughput for video editing.

My guess is you have a corrupted file and FCP is crashing when it tries to load that file. If you have access to a FW 400 drive, then move your media over there and try again.

Then if that doesn't work, try opening the project with all the media offline to see if you can at least open the project. Then copy each file over to your media drive one by one, reconnect and keep going. At some point, FCP will probably crash and you'll find your corrupted file.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.

Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:

Read my Blog!

Twitter!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 29, 2009 at 1:50:35 pm

[Jonathan Eagan] "It's a small project so I'm simply using a single external 500 GB drive connected via USB. I'm working remotely so the media is on a small USB connected device."

I was told that FCP 7 will not allow playback of video over USB, you can Transfer data from a USB connection but you cannot edit video over the USB buss.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jonathan Eagan
on Aug 29, 2009 at 2:51:32 pm

[Gary Adcock]"I was told that FCP 7 will not allow playback of video over USB, you can Transfer data from a USB connection but you cannot edit video over the USB buss."

Because I'm in a remote location and the production office is in another province I was sent the USB drive before I got the project file with detailed logging, bins, notes, etc.

I was able to open a new project and import the media with no problems. It played back fine over USB. the problem is in trying to open and update this FCP 6 project file. The project has over 500 clips in it so it's going to add a great deal of time if I have to start from scratch. That said at least I have access to the media.

I also tried downloading and using FCP Maintenance but to no avail. Though it interestingly tells me that the last 5 crashes are a result of "Plugin failure" it can't be of any further help because it cannot replicate the crash as it wasn't on start up but on opening that project file.

I'm transfering the project to a FW800 drive right now to see if that helps but I'm not optimistic.
Thanks everyone for the help.

I know I should have likely done a clean system wipe and re-installed. I should have known better. I may have to resort to wiping my sytem and reinstalling , which I really hope I can avoid.

Thanks for you help thus far everyone!

And no I'm not running Snow Leopard.

Return to posts index

Jason Lyons
on Aug 29, 2009 at 1:52:34 am

Saw this today - an article by Scott Simmons about a new product that might be worth looking at, there is a tool in this suite that is specifically to try and repair projects that wont open. Hope it helps
j

Digital Rebellion - FCP Maintenance Pack
http://www.studiodaily.com/blog/?p=1897

Return to posts index

Jason Lyons
on Aug 29, 2009 at 1:52:53 am

Saw this today - an article by Scott Simmons about a new product that might be worth looking at, there is a tool in this suite that is specifically to try and repair projects that wont open. Hope it helps
j

Digital Rebellion - FCP Maintenance Pack
http://www.studiodaily.com/blog/?p=1897

Return to posts index

Jonathan Eagan
on Aug 29, 2009 at 4:13:24 pm

Okay - I think I've discovered the issue - it's likely got something to do with an incompatible plugin being used. I don't know how to go about searching this out because there is no way to open the project and check, even off line.

It seems that even if I wipe my system it won't solve my problem. Please help? How do I suss out this faulty plugin????

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2009 at 4:22:35 pm

[Jonathan Eagan] "How do I suss out this faulty plugin????"

Start by going to Library>>Application Support>>Final Cut Pro System Support in the Finder. Locate the Plugins folder and rename it to Plugins JE.

Now, start up FCP and see if it opens properly. If so, you know at least one of the plugins in the folder is bad and you will need to suss them out one at a time by adding them one at a time to the new Plugins folder that FCP will automatically create.

BTW, every plugin in the folder is something you added, these are not FCP plugs that come in with the app.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Eagan
on Aug 29, 2009 at 4:29:50 pm

Thanks.

Tried that, and it did not work.

I can open FCP without any problems, can even import the project media, etc, etc but if I try to launch or open that bloody FCP 6 project file it crashes.

BTW - all it says is FCP quit unexpectedly. There's not further explanation.

It's only using the FCS Maintence pack that was suggested above that I have any inkling that it's plugin related. I'm completely at a loss here.

Is there any way this could be a problem on their end? Should I just wipe my system and reinstall? I really don't want to do that, if at all avoidable.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2009 at 4:54:51 pm

Okay Jonathan, try this test...

Turn off or eject all of your media drives. Now, try to open your project. FCP may take quite a while to get going as it will be looking all over creation for those darned media drives.

Eventually however, FCP may open the offending project and it should tell you that everything is offline. If that happens, don't save or do anything foolish, just shut off FCP.

If you pass this test it will indicate that you have one or more corrupt media files, not a corrupt project and not a corrupt FCP installation.

Report back with you findings...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jonathan Eagan
on Aug 29, 2009 at 5:03:46 pm

Hi David,

okay - tried this again, to no avail.

The problem is, when I try to open this project, the very first thing it prompts me to do is update the file with a pop up window. If I choose 'yes' it begins updating, freezes and crashes. If I choose 'no', it simply opens a new project and I get nowhere.

So I can't even get to a place where it's showing my media as offline.

So...now what?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2009 at 5:15:45 pm

Doesn't sound good Jonathan. Sounds a ground-up install might be a good thing for you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jonathan Eagan
on Aug 29, 2009 at 5:28:09 pm

yeah.

that's what I was afraid of.

Okay - let me ask you this though:

if I do a ground up install - and it still doesn't solve the problem. I can safely say that the issue is something to do with a file corruption or something on their end?

Thanks so much for your help.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2009 at 6:07:00 pm

[Jonathan Eagan] "if I do a ground up install - and it still doesn't solve the problem. I can safely say that the issue is something to do with a file corruption or something on their end?"

Not sure I comprehend? On who's end? I thought this was purely a matter of a FCP 6 file not opening after you updated to FCP 7.

Whoever "they" are, does the file open on their system?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jonathan Eagan
on Aug 29, 2009 at 6:28:21 pm

Hi,

sorry for the confusion. I'll elaborate.

As I mentioned in another post above, I'm working remotely right now and the director sent me a project file from the production office that was created using FCP 6.

Now they are aware that I'm running FCP 7 and they themselves are going to be updating next week. I wondered if there was any way something they might have done on their end could be contributing to my problem. I don't want to inform them yet of the situation until I'm sure it's not my system, yunno?

Either way - when I import the media I was sent on the drive I don't encounter any problems, so I'm guessing there's no corrupted file.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 29, 2009 at 6:36:54 pm

You really need to see if the file indeed opens in FCP6 to know definitively.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Alex Snelling
on Aug 29, 2009 at 5:33:52 pm

Hi Jonathan

Before you do a clean install which you should probably do anyway try this.

If you have another computer running FCP6 - doesn't matter if it is a slow computer - try opening the project on that. If the project opens, then export an XML file of the project and try importing that into FCP7. This may not fix everything but it may allow you to start working on the project now and worry about the cause of the problem later.

If you don't have FCP6 still installed, find a mate who has and then email them your FCP project (zipped into a protective file) and ask them to create the XML for you.

Hope that might help
Alex

http://www.tantrictourists.com

Alex Snelling
http://www.slackalicefilms.com
http://web.me.com/slackalicefilms/

Return to posts index

Jonathan Eagan
on Aug 30, 2009 at 4:54:34 pm

Thanks for the help everyone.

looks like the issue was nothing more than a file corruption on their end. The production office wasn't able to open the project either and had to fall back to an Auto-save version to make things work.

Everything is working fine now. Thank God.

Return to posts index

Jacques Azur
on Sep 10, 2009 at 7:23:17 pm

Hi Johnathan,

I noticed you've resolved the initial issue you had, but I'm curious
how FCP7 is running on your 17"MBP?

The reason I ask is that per Apple, PCS3 is not supported on integrated graphic cards:
"ATI or NVIDIA graphics processor (integrated Intel graphics processors not supported)"
That would include yours & my MBPs.

I've heard some people are able to install it w/o the non-compliant hardware prompt,
but they've reported some functions are absent.

Had any problems/limitations?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]