FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD on Macbook Pro 2.2 GHZ ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
HD on Macbook Pro 2.2 GHZ ?
on Aug 26, 2009 at 12:47:05 pm

I am currently holding off getting a new mac, waiting another year perhaps, and am wondering if I can hold off really.

I will be needing to edit a couple non-comercial HD documentaries (each running between 20 and 50 minutes long) on my Macbook Pro 2.2GHZ DualCore 2... I have 4 Gb of RAM and am running FCP 6.02 on Leopard 10.5.8 (can upgrade to Snow Leopard)

I know that it is not the ideal setup, the ideal always being faster.

But will I be able to edit them without huge memory / playback lagging? The footage is shot on Panasonic P2, I believe, so its not the lighter HDV format. I will be converting the material to Apple ProRes, I assume, using the Transfer window instead of the Capture one I am used to using.
I have sufficient of hard drive space (1GB on external 7200 RPM FW800 drive), so I am more concerned with the RAM and processor speed. I don't mind working in the low-res option (display), to save processor work, but I will need to transfer the footage in at high res since there is no Batch Capture feature for HD footage (in SD I often capture at Offline RT resolution then Media Manage the final cut and up-res to DV).

Any realistic down to earth advice much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: HD on Macbook Pro 2.2 GHZ ?
on Aug 26, 2009 at 2:30:53 pm

Should be no problem at all...

If I can do this sort of thing with a G5 Dual 2.7 with 4 gig of RAM. Surely, a MacBook Pro will, too. If you're running a MacPro now, your render times will be slower but folks do this sort of work with MacBook Pros all of the time.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Joe Paolo
on Aug 26, 2009 at 3:25:30 pm

I'm editing DVCPROHD 1080i on a G4 laptop right now. Just cutting a story line news style. But it works. G4 1.67ghz, 2 gig ram OS 10.5.8, FCP 6.0.5, G-raid3

joe

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Aug 26, 2009 at 4:21:06 pm

People have been cutting DVCProHD and ProRes for a long time on computers much less powerful that your laptop.

If I were you, I'd just leave the material as DVCProHD, no really pressing reason you need to convert to ProRes.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:57:32 pm

This is great news. A second question, regarding your sugestion: how do I Log and Transfer the footage onto the computer, coming in as DVCProHD?
Where would I configure this? It seems like once in the log and transfer window, the only two options are Apple Pro Res and Apple Intermediate Codec. Would I configure this is the good 'ol Audio & Video settings?

thanks,
alan

Return to posts index

Joe Paolo
on Aug 27, 2009 at 3:22:00 am

P2 does not transcode on import. It comes in as it was shot. DV25, DV50, or DVCPROHD.

joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]