FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cache-A Back Up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
Cache-A Back Up
on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:01:43 pm

The folks at Cache-A had mentioned that Jeremy Garchow was doing a review of their LTO4 back up system. I was wondering if that review was available and/or if anyone has info on this or any other viable (and not too pricey)digital media back up product.

Thanks,

Jim Cunningham

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Cache-A Back Up
on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:54:25 pm

Hey Jim. I have a unit that I am working with, yes. The review is not available as I am still in the process of using it and getting up to speed with all the capabilities.

What kind of facility are you in? How big? What networking equipment do you have? Just curious as the Cache-A can be setup from very small to very big.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:09:00 pm

Maybe a demo for CHIFCPUG?

Jim is in the Chicagoland area.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:34:16 pm

Sure, do you think it'd be a good thing to demo in person?

It's kind of data-y.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Aug 24, 2009 at 6:25:10 pm

Definitely demo in person.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:41:42 pm

Jeremy

Pretty much a one man shop. (HVX200,V1U,D30 FCS2-Kona3, CS3, AJA IOLA for SD Laptop) Up til now I've been archiving P2 to Blu-ray, and assigning each client TB drives to keep whole projects on (Camera originals, GFX, Motion, LT etc).
I know that I can redig/reload tapes/discs, but having it all in one place is faster/better. (Clients often request segments from programs as much as 3 years back..."and can we have that tomorrow please") But, as we all know drives will fail, and even TB drives are starting to take up a lot of room. Inexpensive drives were only meant to be a temporary solution. And when you start talking about RAID back up systems over 8 to 16 TB, they are no longer that cheap. It's getting to the point were something more comprehensive is necessary.

At NAB, Cache-A was promising MXF aware systems at about $8K. (Although that MXF aware might still be vaporware, and at an additional price.) They seemed to be selling a plug and play system with a self contained standard filing structure. Still a bit pricey for a one man shop, but I haven't seen anything else that I'm comfortable with.

With R3D and SxS in my immediate future, the data storage situation is only going to get more critical. So, any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:49:59 pm

Perfect. Do you have one computer or do you have anything that can act as a server? The Cache-A will work from wherever (it's network based and controlled via http in your web browser) but a server type situation can be beneficial. Feel free to contact me offlist and I will give you the rundown.

editstation at gmail dot com

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mel Feliciano
on Sep 28, 2009 at 3:44:25 pm

Hey Jeremy, did you finish that review on the Cache-A Prime Cache. It's been more than a month. I would like to read about your experiences and opinion on this very needed device. Thomas Tomchak posted a really good review on his Blog at http://www.suitetake.com but we need more reviews from different people.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 28, 2009 at 9:43:47 pm

[Mel Feliciano] "Hey Jeremy, did you finish that review on the Cache-A Prime Cache."

I haven't. Still in the process of getting 40TB transerred over to LTO4. About half way there.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]