FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF files natively support in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Asadul Hossain
MXF files natively support in FCP 7
on Aug 22, 2009 at 7:30:10 am

i intalled FCP7 some days ago,i heared that FCP7 support mxf files natively, i like to know how do i import mxf files to my timeline for editing with audio-vidio sync

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MXF files natively support in FCP 7
on Aug 22, 2009 at 8:47:42 am

[Asadul Hossain] "i heared that FCP7 support mxf files natively"

You heard incorrectly. MXF files can only be edited natively with the aid of third party software like MXF4QT, Calibrated or Raylight. FCP 7 still converts them to QT via Log and Transfer.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jason Robb
on Jul 13, 2010 at 9:15:53 pm

You're right, there isn't any support that I can find for .mxf, but that makes this bit of text from Apple's website suspicious at best:

"Camera-native editing
Final Cut Pro 7 lets you edit virtually any professional format natively. Because there’s no need to transcode video from camera-native formats, you can start editing right away."

Return to posts index

Thomas Underhill
on Aug 16, 2010 at 5:32:07 am

I have FCP 7 and I just went to log and transfer in the menu some where (file, etc) and I was able to preview and import the .mxf file into pro res natively, without downloading any plugins.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 16, 2010 at 5:29:48 pm

[Thomas Underhill] "I have FCP 7 and I just went to log and transfer in the menu some where"

OK...that's LOG AND TRANSFER. Meaning that you will be using that utility to either wrap the MXF into QT, or convert the MXF format into another codec. Big difference than "NATIVE SUPPORT" for MXF. Native support means that you go FILE>IMPORT and the footage just appears in the bin and works right away.

[Thomas Underhill] "I was able to preview and import the .mxf file into pro res natively, without downloading any plugins."

COrrect. Log and Transfer works with a lot of camera types WITHOUT additional plugins. It works with P2 (DVCPRO HD and AVCintra), and AVCHD. Additional plugins allow it to work with RED, XDCAM and Canon DSLR.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.

Return to posts index

dean Shull
on Aug 17, 2014 at 12:12:44 am

I am pretty sure you can do this with a plugin, I think it's a pretty expensive plugin and I believe the company was called Hamburg Media Pro MXF to fcp7. It should let you work native.

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Aug 18, 2014 at 1:31:07 pm

Can you help me? I have FCP 7.0.3 and mxf files are greyed out in Log and Transfer so can't be selected. I was hoping to do this without plugin, suggestions most welcome.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

dean Shull
on Aug 18, 2014 at 1:51:21 pm

Sony has a free plugin for log and capture on their site that will work for your version of Final Cut. There's also a program called Sony XDCAM transfer that will make it playable. The only difference is this would not be a native. MXF file these programs change it to work with final cut

Return to posts index

steve dann
on Aug 18, 2014 at 3:43:22 pm

Hi. Many thanks for reply. I know about the Sony tools as I use XDCAM all the time. Seems as though problem was a dodgy or 'orphaned' file. Going to get a resend with folder structure from card.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 18, 2014 at 3:16:53 pm

Where do these MXF files come from? Camera masters? If so, was the FULL CARD from that camera backed up? The typical workflow is to make a folder, give it a unique name (this becomes the REEL number), and then copy the FULL contents of that card into that folder.

Then, in FCP, you choose THAT folder...not any folder inside it, don't go digging, when you are in Log and Transfer. So do go burrowing for the MXF files, just choose the folder. If it doesn't work, that can mean one of a few things:

1) You don't have the Log and Transfer plugin for that specific camera. You'll need to do a google search to find it...download it...install it.

2) The full card structure isn't intact. This means that only certain files on the card were backed up, or the folder structure wasn't kept...things renamed, or moved. (if this happened, slap the camera operator, or person responsible for archiving the masters)

3) The format is unsupported by FCP...because FCP was discontinued 3 years ago and the camera came out after that fact, so Apple didn't update FCP to deal with it.

If the latter two options are the reason, then the only solutions are:

A) purchase a plugin that allows you to view MXF files natively, like MXF4Mac, Calibrated, Raylight.

B) Use another editing application. there are a few that can handle those files natively, including Adobe Premiere Pro CC, FCP-X might....Avid media composer might (although it too requires the full card structure to AMA the footage...but it does deal with MXF natively).

C) Give up editing and become a baker. Everyone needs baked goods, like cupcakes and bagels. And they are far easier to deal with...no file structure needed to be kept intact.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Pratik Jain
on Mar 11, 2016 at 11:40:47 am

Please can you share some light on how to convert MXF to QT using FCP 7 Log and Transfer?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]