FORUMS: list search recent posts

De-interlace PRORES

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Yoong
De-interlace PRORES
on Aug 6, 2009 at 5:51:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm working on a project shot on a mix of PAL HDV25P and HDV50i. My aim is to output to 25p and 30p SD DVD, both PAL and NTSC. I have edited using a HDV sequence setting and then media managed the sequence footage to PRORES for processing in color.

When I have made my colour corrections I render out to PRORES 25P and send back to FCP. I have a PRORES 25P sequence but the interlaced video is playing as interlaced.

I am trying to output progressive PRORES but can not seem to do it with sequence settings alone which I can do with HDV. Any advice? I have tried the de-interlace filter in Color with filed dominance set to odd which deinterlaces the footage but it has a bit of a flickker to it. I have also tried to output progressive mpeg2 files from compressor but the interlaced clips look pretty messed up.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: De-interlace PRORES
on Aug 7, 2009 at 1:34:28 pm

[Andy Yoong] "I am trying to output progressive PRORES but can not seem to do it with sequence settings alone which I can do with HDV. Any advice?"

You are working in SD,
there is no progressive output for Standard Def ( PAL or NTSC) the delivery is at 60i or 50i only.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Andy Yoong
on Aug 7, 2009 at 1:47:08 pm

No, I am working in HD. I also thought that you could output progressive SD if you wanted to.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Aug 7, 2009 at 3:20:10 pm

[Andy Yoong] " I also thought that you could output progressive SD if you wanted to."

SD is always interlace on Playback.

You might be able to edit as progressive, but output to a screen is always interlace- there are no exceptions.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Andy Yoong
on Aug 7, 2009 at 3:31:17 pm

so what is the point in the deinterlace section in compressor when exporting mpeg2 for DVD?

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Aug 7, 2009 at 7:13:07 pm

NTSC SD is always interlaced.

The digital successor standard, ATSC, includes a 480P format.

SD DVDs can also use 24P (23.98 really) progressive SD footage for efficiency, because DVD players can convert this to 29.97 interlaced frames per second using pulldown if necessary (for viewers who use ye olde interlaced-only TVs).

Today it is quite difficult to find any TVs with interlaced displays, as CRT factories have closed and newer display technologies are inherently progressive.

Still, we may not get rid of the interlaced video formats until the last TV engineer has been put six feet under (with a garland of garlic around his neck and a stake through his heart).

I hope no one gets the idea that I don't like interlaced :O).

Return to posts index

Andy Yoong
on Aug 7, 2009 at 7:26:21 pm

So if trying to achieve a progressive look for an SD DVD that will play in NTSC dvd player go for 24p?

Return to posts index

B.J. Ahlen
on Aug 7, 2009 at 10:09:45 pm

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You should test a short snippet with representative samples of your 25p and 50i footage and encode this to 24P and 60i for DVD, to see which you like the best.

Going from 25p to 24p, I'd conform the footage to 24p and slow down the audio to match. That will give you the best quality with no visual artifacts.

From 50i to 24p, you could deinterlace the 50i to 25p first, then do the conforming above.

Return to posts index

Andy Yoong
on Aug 7, 2009 at 11:17:00 pm

[B.J. Ahlen] "Going from 25p to 24p, I'd conform the footage to 24p and slow down the audio to match. That will give you the best quality with no visual artifacts. "

Cheers for the reply. I tried conforming in cinema tools but the speed change was quite noticeable so I just used compressor to output it at 23.98fps.

Seems to work ok so far in a simulation in DVDSP. I'll burn it to a DVD and test it out.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]