FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on RAID purchase

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arnljot Bringedal
Advice on RAID purchase
on Aug 1, 2009 at 4:14:12 pm

I need another RAID to backup my primary RAID.

My primary RAID is a relatively fast 6 disk unit RAID 5 configured E-SATA connected device.

The new one that I am looking for does not need to be an very fast RAID.

It will be used for timed backup at night.

I would like something that comes without drives, 6-8 drives capacity I am thinking - and only firewire 800 is needed.

I would like something that has very low noiselevels.....

I will not buy a Drobo. I have had 2 units go south on me, and I find them a bit to slow...

Thanks for all advice to come.

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Re: Advice on RAID purchase
on Aug 1, 2009 at 5:34:44 pm

I purchased an Addonics just about a year ago. It is a 4 drive, esata port multiplyer very reasonable. In fact it was the least expensive raid I could find. It has only provided a scare once, just after I got when I was testing it out. The trick is to stay away from the connectors. For a raid that you are not planning on moving around it has been great. Addonics.com should have a firewire version also.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 1, 2009 at 8:44:15 pm

I'm running an 8 drive DIY RAID5 using 8 wd caviar blacks, a highpoint rocketraid 4322, and a Pro Avio 8ms enclosure. Total cost about $2100 and it's fairly easy to put together. I like the mini-sas connectors vs the e-sata mess of wires I used to deal with.

I don't think we're allowed to post direct links, but you can google
"echoblack pro avio"
and the how-to directions are the first thing to pop up. It was pretty dang easy.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Aug 2, 2009 at 4:07:52 am

What RAID level does your backup RAID need to be, i.e. JBOD, RAID 1, RAID 5, etc.?

If you need RAID 5, does the backup RAID enclosure need to have a built-in RAID controller, or do you have space for a second RAID controller card in your host system?

Return to posts index

Jason Lyons
on Aug 2, 2009 at 5:29:45 pm

Lacie 4big Quadra. Sounds perfect for you.
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11113

A side note:
I have the network version of this solution and it works really well especially if you want it to be quick, easy to set up, and RAID compliant, sharable media. It has become invaluable for us in scenarios where you are working with multiple editors/grx artists on a SAN and you dont want to close out and refresh your drives just to see a new graphic, project file etc. Matter of fact integrating this into the work flow actually creates a situation where the media you will one day need to archive is being archived at the point that it is being shared. For instance, a graphics artist completes some graphics, they copy the elements to the shared drive, the editor pulls the elements into their RAID ... Voila! You have already archived at the point to sharing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]