FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiclip With Different CODECS

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Golden
Multiclip With Different CODECS
on Jul 31, 2009 at 1:36:28 pm

Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 won't let you create a multiclip with material that have different CODECS. While this is normally not a problem for me, I have been doing a lot more shoots in HD with cameras of different formats (XDCAM HD, XDCAM EX, DVCPRO-HD, HDV) that require multicam editing. My latest project had me shooting XDCAM HD and DVCPRO-HD which I need to get into a multiclip. Since I don't often have access to a DVCPRO-HD deck, I imported that footage directly after the shoot into my system through my Kona LHE into ProRes 422 HQ since I thought that would be the best format for the footage. Now, I have to get the XDCAM HD footage into the system in either ProRes or transcode the ProRes footage to XDCAM HD (which I don't think is a good editing CODEC). I don't have an XDCAM HD camera with HD-SDI out or a deck so it isn't easy for me to just use that and capture in real time to ProRes. Also, the main audio for the event was on the XDCAM-HD camera so extracting the 4 channels of audio is important and while I can use the HD component output of my camera for capture, the unbalanced audio outputs of the camera won't cut it. I am trying to avoid renting a deck to get this footage into ProRes, especially when I have complete access to the native XDCAM HD files on the disks.

Does anyone have any suggestions on my situation and maybe some insight on something I have overlooked? Also, does the new Final Cut Pro 7 support multi-CODEC multiclips? I haven't seen it stated anywhere but I thought I'd ask. What burns me is that I am a Media 100 user since 1997 (I know this is a FCP forum) and the new Media 100 Suite is going to have multi-cam capability for different CODECS. I'm slightly dismayed that Apple can't included something that Media 100 and Boris can.

Thanks.

Andrew

Andrew S. Golden
President
Illusion Media LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Multiclip With Different CODECS
on Jul 31, 2009 at 5:35:08 pm

FCP 7 doesn't support multiple codecs either. You have to transcode everything to a uniform codec, and frame size. ProRes will be your best bet. Drop all the footage into Compressor and let it chug away for a few days.

If Media 100 does this, then when that comes available it would be wise to use that if you shoot multiple formats and need to multiclip. Use the tool best suited for the job...in this case, it is Media 100.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chris Pulleyn
Re: Multiclip With Different CODECS
on Dec 9, 2010 at 10:01:27 pm

I have the exact same scenario and I was SO happy to find this thread... not so happy now!

I have the same issue with the same formats but I'm using FCP7.

I suppose that there have not been any miraculous changes over the last year and a half?

Any suggestions or tricks appreciated... or i'll convert 6hrs into 422

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]