FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quicktimes with the av suffix

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sherril Schlesinger
Quicktimes with the av suffix
on Jul 10, 2009 at 1:15:05 am

Hello,

I recently digitized several Panasonic 720P tapes and noticed that in addition to the quicktime files that were created, I also have duplicate quicktime files with the exact same file name but with av at the end.

I have read here on previous forums that this often happens with Capture Now on lengthy clips...which was exactly how I digitized this material. However, the clips (without the av) showed up fine in my project and seem to play perfectly as well....is this some kind of time bomb that could come up and bite me in post??

Thanks
Sherril

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Quicktimes with the av suffix
on Jul 10, 2009 at 6:55:17 am

Your media drive is formatted FAT32....meaning that it has a 2GB to 4GB file size limit. Look at the clips, note that they are all under that size. What happens is that FCP captures the footage but then breaks up the QT into multiple parts to fit on that drive format. Each -av-0 and -av-1 is tied to the main QT. They cannot be opened separately.

It is unwise to use a FAT32 formatted drive. You need to reformat your drive as MacOS Extended and recapture the footage.

Keep the same clips in FCP, just reformat the drive and then highlight the clips and choose BATCH CAPTURE.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sherril Schlesinger
on Jul 10, 2009 at 7:15:57 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the response - but unfortunately that's not the issue....I am looking at the drive now and it is DEFINITELY formatted "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
I had read on previous threads that this anomaly is sometimes created with long clips using the Capture Now function --do you know anything about that?
Also- is there a way for me to check if thess few clips are going to somehow create issues when we online?

Best
Sherril

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 10, 2009 at 7:45:16 pm

That is just the most common issue. OK, the other thing to check is in the SYSTEM SETTINGS, SCRATCH DISK tab. Do you have LIMIT CAPTURE checked and set to a small size? Uncheck that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sherril Schlesinger
on Jul 10, 2009 at 10:35:08 pm

Hi Shane,

Nope - neither the LIMIT CAPTURE/EXPORT nor the LIMIT CAPTURE NOW are checked in the scratch disk tab.

I have no trouble playing these clips in FCP ....so I'm really not sure what ramifications there may be later?

Thanks again for trying to help me figure this out,
Sherril

Return to posts index

Sherril Schlesinger
on Jul 14, 2009 at 6:58:30 pm

Is there anyone who has run into this specific issue? - please read the thread.
Thanks
Sherril

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jul 14, 2009 at 7:59:35 pm

[Sherril Schlesinger] "Is there anyone who has run into this specific issue? "

Hi Sherril,

The .av suffix is not at all uncommon when captures are somehow truncated for one reason or another... What is uncommon is that you've pretty much stated that none of the common causes of the phenomenon are happening on your end, so it's pretty mysterious to those of us who know how to diagnose and remedy these things.

The bottom line is, it really should not be happening and it could be indicative of dropped frames. At least that's something I'd want to look into very deeply.

David

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Sherril Schlesinger
on Jul 14, 2009 at 11:35:27 pm

Thanks David,

I had read that besides the "common causes of the phenomenon" noted in this thread that it can also be caused by using Capture Now in digitize...have you ever run into this before?? I haven't.

I will continue my investigation in search of someone who knows how to diagnose and remedy this particular thing.

Sherril

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]