FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dolby 5.1 layback to HDCAM SR

COW Forums : Video Copilot

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Mike Kahn
Dolby 5.1 layback to HDCAM SR
on Jul 7, 2009 at 3:49:58 pm

Tomorrow, I will be getting files from an audio house to do a Dolby 5.1 layback to an HDCAM SR that I already have the video in place. I have never done a 5.1 layback and don't know if there are any additional steps I need to follow in order to do this correctly.

I know that in FCP i can change my sequence settings for Audio Output to 5.1 and it gives me 6 channels. 1&2 are stereo, 3 is mono -3, 4 is off, 5&6 are stereo -3. These settings don't really seem correct.

I have done searches on the cow but have not found anything very recent about how to do this kind of layback. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Dolby 5.1 layback to HDCAM SR
on Jul 7, 2009 at 4:40:07 pm

Generic help - You may want to search forums and google "Dobly E" encoding, that is what is use to send 5.1 to broadcasters, it is a 2-channel file. This maybe what you are getting.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jul 7, 2009 at 4:41:26 pm

5.1 discreet channels are NO different than laying back any "regular" audio. If you're doing a
Dolby "E" encode... that's a whole different scenario.

To repeat: 5.1 is just assigning tracks and rolling tape. For Dolby "E" encoding I'd suggest you
use an expert if you've never done it before: Hint: The audio channels aren't even set to audio, they're set to "data".

Mark

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Jul 7, 2009 at 4:47:12 pm

Thanks guys, I am pretty sure that this is 5.1 and not Dolby E. We thought it was Dolby E last week and were all set to get decoders and sync boxes but after looking over the final specs, it is only 5.1.

So I will get, say, 6 channels of audio, place them in the sequence and lay off as if it was nothing more then 6 discreet channels of audio?

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
on Jul 7, 2009 at 6:23:29 pm

[Mike Kahn] "So I will get, say, 6 channels of audio, place them in the sequence and lay off as if it was nothing more then 6 discreet channels of audio?"

Yep. Check your delivery specs for the channel assignment. Usually these days it's:

Ch.1 L Ch.2 R Ch.3 C Ch.4 Sub Ch.5&6 LS/RS ch.7&8 LT/RT

But some clients like it different.
Also, you might need to change your sequence settings for more audio channels and well as your device control preset settings.

Best,
Joey

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Jul 8, 2009 at 12:23:46 am

...and HDCAM SR has 12 channels of audio so you can include MIX + M&E along with your 6 channels of 5.1.

What audio output device are you using Mike? (eg Kona, Blackmagic etc)

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Mike Kahn
on Jul 8, 2009 at 2:54:05 pm

Thanks for the help. I am using a Kona 3. Got the track layout from the deliverables and shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks again.

Mike

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 7, 2009 at 4:50:11 pm

Add to the Dobly E warning, with that is being used those tracks NOT be monitors directly out to speakers. They can blow speakers quickly, it has to be run through a decoder to be monitored.

If they are 6 discreet channels you probably don't wait FCP going any levels adjustments on output. Audio people don't like video people messing with their audio. For fun I normally tell them, don't worry DVD players automatically down-mix the 5.1 to stereo and then watch them twitch.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 7, 2009 at 10:52:39 pm

[Michael Sacci] "For fun I normally tell them, don't worry DVD players automatically down-mix the 5.1 to stereo and then watch them twitch."

That's why I always supply a stereo LtRt mix for the DVD and broadcast stereo.

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]