FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I copy video from a webpage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zeno Pierre
How do I copy video from a webpage?
on Jul 5, 2009 at 6:20:20 pm

Hi, all,

I read an article on how to record or download a video from a website but can't find that article. Does anybody know how it can be done?

Zeno

Return to posts index

chris gormlie
Re: How do I copy video from a webpage?
on Jul 5, 2009 at 6:45:11 pm

This is something that I am being asked to do more and more. Clients increasingly seem to only have the 'web video' of something they then want to add to or include in something else.

I use firefox with the video download plugin found at

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006

It go's without saying that often the quality of the video is way below what anyone would consider as desirable, but if needs must....

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jul 5, 2009 at 7:42:01 pm

[Zeno Pierre] "I read an article on how to record or download a video from a website but can't find that article. Does anybody know how it can be done? "

Well the best way to approach this would be to ask the owner of the website for a copy of that video.

If that is the case then you should have the client get that video from off there web server and give it to you.

Just grabbing a video from a website to use in your video is just the same as pulling video from a commercial DVD to use in your video.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

chris gormlie
on Jul 5, 2009 at 8:25:39 pm

It go's without say that video which isn't owned or licensed by a client should never be used, but I can think of a dozen or so times that I have been asked to use a piece from a video hosting service (youtube, vimeo etc) where this is the ONLY copy of the video that they have. The same go's more frequently with DVDs.

Not surprisingly the client who finds themselves in this situation is frequently not very tech savvy and seldom has access to their own web-server.

DVD/WEB/Digital ripping software is a toolset that any digital post-production professional should have in my opinion, and all this 'copyright theft facilitation' assumptions that fly around these tools should in no way deter anyone from learning them.

Return to posts index

Ben Wharton
on Jul 5, 2009 at 8:51:42 pm

I'd also suggest SnapXPro 2 if you're on a Mac.

Yes, if you have streaming rather than progressive download, you do have the chance of missed frames in your recording, but the advantage is that you can record the video to whatever codec you wish on render output and can fix the size of the screen capture so it will work with a default realtime playback setting on FCP / blend with the rest of your project.

The only thing to be really aware of (apart frmo having a fast machine NOT doing anything else) is that before importing anything recorded by SnapX into FCP, open the file in CinemaTools and reconform to the correct frame rate. For some reason FCP reads the QT MOV frame rate incorrectly when fresh from SnapX and you'll see if coming up as set to 10fps (or similar) rather than whatever you set it in SnapX.

It's saved my bacon a number of times.

Ben

Return to posts index

Zeno Pierre
on Jul 5, 2009 at 9:21:20 pm

Thanks Chris and Ben

Return to posts index

Zeno Pierre
on Jul 5, 2009 at 9:17:29 pm

Hi Zane,

Your concern is duly noted.

I have a client that promotes live concerts and most of his booking contracts are by new and upcoming artist that can be found on Youtube. On many occasions, the promoter will contact me to produce a commercial that needs to be "...ready in 3 days". Many times I am asked to just download the video from Youtube to be used in the commercial. The quality is poor. I read that MAC can accomplish this task. I'm wondering if there would be any quality improvement.

Number, 2, my PC graphics computer is now having problems burning to disc. I can't transfer the downloaded videos from PC to the FCP computer. "....Cannot perform end of disc at once " (by Nero) so if I can just download everything by using MAC, I might be able to meet my goal and make my deadline.

BTW - I'm part owner of a vintage music publishing company - the one that owns "Battle Hymn Republic". We just won a 12 month lawsuit against an entertainment company in Palm Springs for copyright infringement. No, we don't play around when it comes to copying work by other artist!

It's good that you are concerned, though, I wish more people were. :)

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 5, 2009 at 9:40:54 pm

[Zeno Pierre] "Battle Hymn Republic" Do you mean Battle Hymn of the Republic? or is there something else, if yes, how do you own it? isn't it public domain? Just curious, not attacking :-)

Return to posts index

Zeno Pierre
on Jul 6, 2009 at 1:14:33 am

Battle Hymn of the Republic, that is correct.

The version that we have is popular with enthusiast and is maintained by proper copyright registration.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 6, 2009 at 1:20:42 am

Download helper is a Firefox extension that lets you download flash files from a variety of sources.

You can run Firefox on a Mac. You might also look at networking the Mac with the windows machines. We do that here with a G5, 5 PCs two NAS units and Linux. They all connect over giganet and it is so easy to move files around without burning a disk to move between machines.

Return to posts index

Zeno Pierre
on Jul 13, 2009 at 12:14:51 am

Hey thanks Michael

Are you concerned about viruses?

Return to posts index

Steve Clark
on Mar 5, 2010 at 12:57:41 am

Need to burn a streaming mp4 to hard drive and load it into FCP. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 6, 2009 at 3:23:03 am

The song itself might be public domain. But not the performed recording. In other words, if it's public domain, feel free to go and record your own version free of paying anyone any royalties or getting permission. But you couldn't use the London Symphony's version in your show.

Return to posts index

Robert Semeniuk
on Jul 8, 2009 at 11:01:08 pm

On the rare occasions I've had to do it, MPEG Streamclip works very well, and it's free.

Return to posts index

fiona sara
on Nov 3, 2011 at 7:22:10 am

Firefox add-on video downloader is commonly used, but I found it often make errors and crash the browser. Last time, due to this case, i miss a good website I just found. So I attach importance to the stability of the downloading. Now I use a Streaming Video Recorder to download videos. It can easily download mp4 video and many other flash videos.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]