FORUMS: list search recent posts

final cut pro and M2T files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Rubin
final cut pro and M2T files
on Jul 2, 2009 at 2:44:49 am

Hi,

I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I have a questions about FCP and M2T.

I cut a movie in Avid Liquid 7... it was the worst experience of my life (I hate that program) and now it's completed, but we are running into issues trying to export it into a Quicktime. The quality isn't good (even though it's uncompressed), the audio goes out of sync. We just need to get a final export of it.

I'm thinking of exporting it to M2T, which I have had no problems exporting. Then take that entire export and import it into a Final Cut project. (This is so the person doing the color correction can work with it).

My question i guess is... Am I going to be able to import an M2T file into Final Cut. I don't need to edit this project anymore, i just need i in a project.

I don't know, if anyone else has any ideas... i've given up completely on Avid Liquid.

Thanks
B. Rubin

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: final cut pro and M2T files
on Jul 2, 2009 at 3:29:06 am

m2t is not an editing codec and it is highly compressed (mpeg2 in a transport stream basically).

I don't know the AVID you refer to so I don't know what other options you have to export. To solve the sync issue though, you might be better exporting the audio separate from the video and resyncing in FCP.

In the past I have had issues importing an AVID generated QT file which was supposedly Apple uncompressed 4.2.2 but it looked weird. The facility with the AVID somehow fixed this, probably by using third party software, to take the uncompressed from AVID and make a Blackmagic uncompressed QT which imported fine.

Return to posts index

Brent Rubin
on Jul 2, 2009 at 3:40:34 am

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Hmm, so M2T wouldn't be the way to go then. The quality looks so much better then anything else I've tried. I originally exported as an uncompressed MOV but the quality wasn't as good and i had the sync issues.

I'm fairly new to Final Cut so I'm still learning the file formats it works best with. Will an uncompressed AVI go into Final Cut? I imagine though that that file size would be insanely large for a 90 minute movie.
I have many different options to export the movie, i just need to keep it in the highest quality possible.

Basically I need to get this movie which is 720/24p into Final Cut and I'm at a loss for what to do.

B. Rubin

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 2, 2009 at 3:49:20 am

Not sure where the image quality drop is being observed. I hope you are checking the output from FCP on an external HD monitor via a Kona or Decklink card.

Uncompress .mov or .avi will be the same codec. Changing the wrapper is not likely to help, especially as FCP is quicktime based. Although a big file, uncompressed (if you can get a common codec) is best.

Return to posts index

Brent Rubin
on Jul 2, 2009 at 3:55:35 am

Well right now it's still in Avid Liquid... that's my issue is trying to get it from Liquid to Final Cut without losing quality.
I'm confused also why the uncompressed Quicktime i made of it originally isn't perfect. Unless I'm clicking something wrong in the export settings. I wonder if I need newer codecs?

Return to posts index

Nicholas Buer
on Jul 2, 2009 at 2:04:28 pm

You could try exporting your project as an M2T, then using a program such as 'Clipwrap' to transcode the files into .MOV's?

http://www.clipwrap.com/

Great little program but it does cos $49.95, check it out anyway...

Good luck

Nick

Return to posts index

Alex D'Eath
on Jul 2, 2009 at 2:52:29 pm

You can convert m2t files for free with mpeg streamclip. I use it all the time to convert HD clips from sony vegas to dvcpro hd clips for editing in fcp.

Alex D'Eath
alex@spacecityfilms.com
Operations Manager
Space City Films, Inc
Above... & Beyond

Return to posts index

Troy Smith
on Jul 13, 2010 at 11:39:44 pm

I am importing M2T files into streamclip, but I want to know the best format to convert it to for FCP. There are several HD formats that match what I have, but I don't know what would be best.

Troy Smith
Imminent Entertainment LLC
Education for the Arts
Vicksburg High School

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]