FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit XDCAM, Export PRORES?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Prisk
Edit XDCAM, Export PRORES?
on Jun 30, 2009 at 4:35:29 pm

Is there any reason I should not be editing in XDCAM (files straight from XDCAM Transfer Software) and then copying and pasting the entire program to a new ProRes 422 HQ sequence for final rendering?

This seems to give me better text and gradients for output, but keeps me from having to convert all my files to ProRes before editing.

Just wondering if I may be creating other quality issues I have not thought about.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Edit XDCAM, Export PRORES?
on Jun 30, 2009 at 4:39:03 pm

I believe you can change your render settings in the XDCAM timeline to simply render in ProRes.

Also, if you send your show to Color, you can render out your graded show in ProRes from there.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Jason Prisk
on Jun 30, 2009 at 4:43:21 pm

I do have my render setting to ProRes, but for some reason I still get nasty looking gradients--primarily on fades in and out of black.

Thanks for the input, Walter. Someday I want to see your place. I am in Stockbridge.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 1, 2009 at 4:06:57 pm

[Jason Prisk] "I do have my render setting to ProRes, but for some reason I still get nasty looking gradients--primarily on fades in and out of black. "

That would be your XDCAM original format. It's an 8bit format, heavily compressed. Changing to ProRes won't change any banding issues in the original format. It merely doesn't add anything to what's already there and keeps your graphics clean.

If you don't want banding, then shoot with a higher quality format.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jul 1, 2009 at 4:11:11 pm

I'll also add that the monitor you're watching your footage play back on can also add more banding if it's not a high quality broadcast monitor.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
Credits include multiple Emmy, Telly, Aurora and Peabody Awards.
Biscardi Creative Media

Creative Cow Forum Host:
Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Read my Blog!

Return to posts index

Jason Prisk
on Jul 1, 2009 at 5:30:38 pm

Thanks again for the input. I agree that there are restrictions with XDCAM, and I do not have this problem with other formats such as HDCAM because I typically convert them to ProRes before editing. Projects shot on the EX1/EX3 typically have a more limited budget and I need to get right to editing as quickly as possible.

To the point...Note that the problem is occurring ONLY in gradients that I ADD in Final Cut (fades in and out of black, primarily).

When I render them on an XDCAM timeline (ProRes as my Sequence Render Setting), there is banding. But when I take everything to an actual 10bit ProRes Sequence the fades look great.

Not worth spending any more time on, really. My original question was simply whether anyone could foresee problems stemming from this workflow.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]