FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem using Chroma Keyer in FCP 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Nakamura
Problem using Chroma Keyer in FCP 6
on Jun 11, 2009 at 8:59:14 pm

For some reason the chroma keyer in FCP is not working - only on footage shot from two different shoots. Instead of eliminating the green, it's creating a thin keyed line around the subject's head - that's it.

This is green screen footage shot using the HVX200 in 720p30. The strange thing is that it continues to work fine with other footage shot using the same camera in the same record mode, but just not these two shoots. I have tried it on different computer systems in our office and it's the same thing across the board. It doesn't work on any of them. I've tried putting the source footage on different drives and logging & transferring from different systems to create quicktimes and that had no effect. Does anyone know why this is happening or any potential solutions to the problem?

For the record, the green screen is shot beautifully and it keys perfectly in After Effects. I am using FCP 6.0.5 on Mac Pro Quad Core.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Problem using Chroma Keyer in FCP 6
on Jun 11, 2009 at 9:45:28 pm

I've never been happy with my results using the keyer in FCP. I usually use Keylight in AE. Since you have it, why not key there? Motion has a much better keyer (Primatte) than FCP. If someone can't help with the FCP key, try Motion. At least you can round-trip from FCP.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Rosie Nakamura
Re: Problem using Chroma Keyer in FCP 6
on Jun 15, 2009 at 7:16:11 pm

I think I've figured out the problem, but it's really odd. The saturation of the green color seems to be too intense for the chroma keyer in FCP to handle. If I desaturate the color of the entire frame it will then key with no problem. I have no idea why this works, but I'm happy there is a workaround. It keys just fine in Motion & After Effects, but for this job, it's way easier to do everything in FCP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]