FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting from HD to SD DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthony klein
Exporting from HD to SD DVD
on Jun 10, 2009 at 5:30:50 pm

Hi,

I'm out of my depth here and wonder if someone can help with exporting issues?

I shot a film using the EX1, imported in final cut and did the edit in XDCAM format. I then exported the sequence uncompressed (90gb file), which went to someone to do a grade, on a baselight system. This was given back to me as uncompressed, in order not to lose anything, and I needed to make a tweak or two in FCP.

I have the footage now in FCP, and the compressor format is 'Component Video'.

Final use for the film is now standard SD DVD, and I'm trying to establish the best way of getting to that. Have done various tests using Compressor (encoding best quality for DVD 90mins etc), and then importing into Studio Pro for output, but the final results once played off the DVD are shoddy, to say the least. Can anyone suggest a step-by-step workflow that is likely to produce the best results?

Apologies if I have not been very clear, as I said, this is a little out of my league. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Exporting from HD to SD DVD
on Jun 10, 2009 at 5:39:38 pm

Somebody just asked this question yesterday or the day before. There's an answer posted in the FAQ's.

http://forums.creativecow.net/faq/applefinalcutpro#52

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

anthony klein
on Jun 10, 2009 at 5:45:23 pm

thanks walter. I follow a few suggestions posted already in my tests, but hadn't cracked it yet.
will go through this particular post and see if i have any joy.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 10, 2009 at 5:42:29 pm

You didn't say how you exported for Compressor. IMHO the best isea is to Fole>Export>QT movie with current settings. It can be a self-contained or ref movie. Then bring that file into Compressor. Going from HD to SD involves a lot of scaling and if not done well will negatively impact quality. In the Encoder tab in Compressor's Inspector, be sure that you have Frame Controls on and all the quality settings (I think there are 3) set to Best.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

anthony klein
on Jun 10, 2009 at 5:51:54 pm

Thanks John.

I exported from the timeline in FCP using compressor directly. File>Export>Using Compressor.
So, I will attempt to export as QT with current settings, and then put that resulting file into compressor.

Return to posts index

Jason Boucher
on Jun 11, 2009 at 2:19:34 am

Interesting. Can anyone explain WHY "Export using Compressor" isn't an option here? Just curious.

Jason

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jun 11, 2009 at 1:52:19 pm

I've never heard the "why," just lots of anecdotal warnings of people having trouble using that workflow.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 11, 2009 at 2:26:03 pm

[Jason Boucher] "Interesting. Can anyone explain WHY "Export using Compressor" isn't an option here? Just curious."

It's slower. Running Compressor and FCP at the same time causes the compression to go much more slowly than if you export the QT movie, quit FCP, then run Compressor by itself.

Also, it's more reliable. You're more apt to have system hangs and crashes uses the Export Using Compressor command.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Jason Boucher
on Jun 16, 2009 at 8:18:30 pm

Ah.... so it's not a quality issue, but a workflow issue.

Thanks for the response... I wish I'd read this about 10 minutes ago before I started my "Export using Compressor..."

Thanks again!

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]