FORUMS: list search recent posts

Running Final Cut Pro on a Hackintosh

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Howard Ferguson
Running Final Cut Pro on a Hackintosh
on May 29, 2009 at 6:31:41 am

Hi,

Does anyone has experience with running Final Cut Pro on a Hackintosh ?

A friend of mine is curious.

Thanks,

Howard Ferguson

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: Running Final Cut Pro on a Hackintosh
on May 29, 2009 at 9:28:48 am

You need new friends.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 29, 2009 at 9:36:24 am

[Thax Clave] "You need new friends. "

Ditto. Dumb question.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jun 1, 2009 at 3:34:51 am

Here we go again. Ok, admittedly an odd question to be sure, but I recall the old Mac Clones and how long did you think it would be before someone found a way to load Leopard onto a basic PC framework (ie cheaper?)

And so our friend Howard asks here on the FC forum if anyone has had any experience running FCP on one of these boxes. It is worth asking because if a student wanted to learn FCP but had mostly PC software, a cheaper Hackintosh might be a decent option to learn both FCP and Vegas on a dual boot system.

Our first poster suggests new friends. Clever, but does anyone on the COW actually have any advice or know someone who has loaded FCP on one of these boxes? Wait, Walter is up next, maybe he has some ideas...

Nope, just spends his bandwidth and time adding that our friend Howard just asked a dumb question. Later, Howard has to explain his actual circumstance because he was actually looking for some advice on this topic...

C'mon guys....stop assuming every dang time that when someone asks a question about getting a clip off a DVD that they are trying to steal copyrighted material, and stop treating posters who have an unusual question, to be sure, like they are just another doofus looking for something for nothing.

We probably have to rip a clip off a DVD practically every day because it's all the client has. Many times this is a show DVD and they want only one segment put onto another DVD etc.

Hackingtoshes seem to be here to stay and might, in good time, become a viable product for even you staunch professionals out there. You never know.

Can we try, just for a while to stop wasting posts just picking on the poster? Please post to be helpful, but cheeky comments are still fun and keep it light. It's the "That's a dumb question" posts we can all do without.

I thought there were no dumb questions, and Howard's certainly was not.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 1, 2009 at 3:42:40 am

That's why I chimed in and said that I made a Hackitosh, loaded FCP on it and didn't have good luck. Admittedly I chose one of the cheapest ones to make...it is a computer for my kids to abuse. So it really isn't designed for video editing.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheffield
on Jun 1, 2009 at 3:48:51 am

The point of my post is this - If you have the technical knowledge to build and maintain a Hackintosh, you know the answer to "Can FCP run on a Hackintosh".

You can't build a hackintosh expecting a real Mac. Yes, it is every bit as powerful as a Mac, but I would ONLY EVER recommend it to a hobbyist. Unless you know your way around kexts and injectors and DSDT and com.apple.boot.plist and chmod, etc... this is not the place to spend a lot of money.

If you INSIST on doing building a Hackintosh, start small. You can build a simple setup for $250 - once you get that working and understand it, you can build your behemoth.

And for GODS SAKE, buy the OS... Apple deserves at least that.

Don't get me wrong - I've built many hackintoshes, but they are NOT as reliable or as trouble free as my real Mac. Doesn't mean I don't like them. But if you price out an EXACTLY configured Mac and PC, you'll find the Mac is a bargain.

An economical Hackintosh exists in an area that Apple doesn't service - i.e. cheaper cases, less powerful CPUs, slower memory, fewer processors, etc.

Apple makes their hardware and the OS, so they can ensure there are no conflicts. If you want the true Mac experience, buy a mac. If you want a reasonable facsimile, and are willing to put in the time and effort, build a hack.

Patrick

Return to posts index

Howard Ferguson
on Jun 1, 2009 at 7:48:40 am

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses.
It's interesting to learn from the comments.
It was never my intent to create any controversy.

I was talking with a friend.
He's a smart guy.
You're a bunch of smart folks.
So it seemed reasonable to ask the question.

I very much appreciate all the help I have received from this forum,
both direction from response to postings, and via searching through previous threads.

Some folks, in particular, have been wonderfully directly helpful with very detailed specific information.
A very very special thanks for that !!!

Howard Ferguson

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheffield
on May 29, 2009 at 2:08:15 pm

If your "friend" has to ask that question, he has no business fiddling around with Hackintoshes.

A Hackintosh is a hobbyist's tinker-toy. Certainly not something to build a business on...

Patrick

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on May 29, 2009 at 2:37:42 pm

Headaches, cold sweats, and possibly a bypass surgery will follow any such attempt.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Howard Ferguson
on May 29, 2009 at 7:59:48 pm

Thanks for your responses !

I use Final Cut on a MacBook Pro, booted from an external RAID.
It's nice and portable, as I need my Final Cut computing to be.

My friend I mentioned doesn't even use Final Cut.
He was just curious what it's limits were, and I told him I'd ask this forum about it.
It's more of a "science project" for him.

I've got 20 years worth of Macs sitting around here, most of them still in use for the specific tasks at which they excel.

Thanks again !
Howard Ferguson

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on May 29, 2009 at 10:27:29 pm

I tried it on mine and it works fine....haven't done alot of testing though. This question is better suited for sites like http://www.videohelp.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 29, 2009 at 11:28:00 pm

I built a Hackintosh...and yes, I tried FCP on it. FAR from stable. I just wanted to try and see anyway. I wouldn't do it professionally.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Blittzj
on Jun 18, 2011 at 4:15:43 am

Hey guys, Im posting on one right now but thats all i can seem to do on this thing is surf dl, mail, and post. Quicktime doesn't even always run, actually it might have once. FCP wont even install, not much will, i couldnt even get starcraft one to run, I installed it but thats as far as I've gotten. I've been a PC user since i was 7 but the first thing I ever touched was a mac, luckily i learned them both easily. But I could build a PC and that's what was fun about that when I was around 14. Now I'm 26 and a film student who can't afford a mac to run FCP 5,6 or 7 on. I'm a wanna be prof. editor/writer who can't practice anywhere but school which is never open. Luckily Final Draft is not mac only. Anyways I spent decent money on it and I can't be angry because its still awsome as a PC. Right now I only use my windows 7 hd, this one so far is a waste of a decent hitachi TB. the rest of it is pure awesome for 7-8 big ones compared to 25.

I know final cut pro TENNNNN is comming out which I am madly excited about but I know im gonna have to dish out for that so I'm saving up for whatever newest sickest MACbook pro is out around that time. (because MAC is consistently stepping their game up while PC is economic but os no comment.)

Anyways meanwhile I have this great PC/H that I would like to use as much as possible as a tranfer point and backup for the one that I intend to buy. Since PC and Mac are such stubborn competitors neither of them are going anywhere.

If anyone can direct me to the best places to learn about kext. injector, .boot/ whatever Patrick was saying that would be awesome, because I myself like many other .. filmmakers come from a real world full of difficult experience, a cruel one but beautiful so listen to elvis and help a fellow out, until the tyrannical computer juggernauts somehow come to a compromise, or until mac kills pc.

THank you brilliant ones.

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheffield
on Jun 18, 2011 at 10:21:45 am

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/

Patrick

Return to posts index

Ronald Farber
on Jul 9, 2011 at 6:07:14 am

I don't mean to resuscitate this post that has gathered a bit of dust, but I came across it from a Google search so I thought I would throw out my 2 cents of experience.

I recently took on the challenge of building myself a pimped out Hackintosh (first time doing it too I might add). It consists of an iCore 7 Intel Processor running at an overclocked 4.0 GHz, contains 12GB of RAM, a Quadro 1700 512MB video card, etc...as I said, pretty pimped out. I jumped a few hurdles in the process but eventually was shown the promise land of the Mac "Welcome" video. I installed all my software, entered the serials and was on my merry way "creating." Every piece of software runs swimmingly without hiccup or delay, nor crashing or errors. That includes Final Cut 7. The only thing "wrong" with the Hackintosh is that on-board audio doesn't work, but I have USB speakers so I'm fine with that not working (for now), and the "sleep" function doesn't work...if I let it go to sleep, it won't wake back up and I have to force shut down. But since this is a rendering computer for my CG work, I just told it not to sleep...ever. I just shut it down when I don't need it.

That's my experience.

I go to school for VFX and Motion Graphics. I enticed a few of my friends into doing the same with the promise I could set it up for them IF (and ONLY if) they bought parts of the exact same specs so that I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel for each setup. Two friends did so, only buying different CD-ROM drives as the website no longer carried the one I bought. For their machines, I simply gave them a cloned HDD of my HDD with all the applications already installed, and magically, Final Cut doesn't work on neither of their machines. I have no idea what it is, but I really suspect it's a Final Cut thing more than a Hackintosh thing because 1) every other piece of software works, and 2) what it does it crash on startup. Doesn't even open, just shows the splash screen before quitting. I have no idea why it would work on my machine and not theirs, considering they are exactly the same parts, at least in every area that matters. I'm still troubleshooting it for them as they'd like it to work but I think if you truly know what you're doing, or at least turn to forums for help where people know what they're doing, you can build a Hackintosh that behaves exactly like you'd expect a Mac to. Researching what hardware people have had success with in the past is a good idea, though I must admit I'm guilty of not having done that myself. I was pretty set on "this is what I want, I'm gonna make it work." And either I just lucked out or I know what I'm doing (I suspect a little of both. ;)

But all in all, I felt the need to post my experience because people who had bad experiences with -any- software on a Hackintosh build, in my opinion, clearly didn't have it setup properly to begin with.

Return to posts index

Stephen Kidd
on Jul 9, 2011 at 10:02:46 pm

Hi Ronald,

Your Final Cut problem sounds like a licensing problem. Try uninstalling
Final Cut (google FCS Remover) and reinstalling it on the other machines (obviously
with a valid serial number) :)

Return to posts index

Michael Sigmon
on Mar 25, 2012 at 5:07:30 pm

It's now late March 2012. Ronald, is there some way to contact you to ask about your Hackintosh? Unfortunately, no way to send a private message to another user here. C'mon Creative Cow, it's 2012. Update your forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]