FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Workflows - Peak Limiter in Compressor?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Hirons
Audio Workflows - Peak Limiter in Compressor?
on Apr 30, 2009 at 4:36:50 pm

Hi there. Just developing a workflow for a large volume project in which I need to get consistent audio levels from some 750 interview videos for the web.

I am curious if anyone has had any success using the Peak Limiter function tucked away in Compressor. If so, what settings did you find to be most helpful?

I am trying to determine the most time efficient method for handling audio using the tools available in Final Cut Studio. Thanks for your help.

- Dan

Return to posts index

todd reid
Re: Audio Workflows - Peak Limiter in Compressor?
on Apr 30, 2009 at 5:19:39 pm

"hidden in compressor"?

I have had lots of success with the peak limiter within FCP.

If I remember correctly there are 4 parameters within:

I wish I could say I understand what each means, but I can't.

I start with:

and then adjust the level of the clip (usually down to maybe -4 or -6 depend on how it sounds). Once I get the desired results on one clip, I copy attributes and paste on the rest of the clips. Of course with 750 clips you may have to adjust the levels on some of them individually.

I have done this to several web-based programs, and it has worked.

Hope that helps.

Todd Reid
Senior Editor
Digitized Media, Inc.

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Audio Workflows - Peak Limiter in Compressor?
on Apr 30, 2009 at 10:04:28 pm

If the audio has been recorded consistently for all the interviews, Todd's suggestion will work. However, if some clips are loud and others soft compared to the clip you use to set the compressor, the results won't be good.

Perhaps you can save some time grouping clips by shoot days. Even with different recording styles with different sound people, I'd hope they'd be consistent within a day.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.5 QT7.5.5 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870
ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE Enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
24" TV-Logic Monitor
Final Cut Studio 2 (up to date)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]