FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Codecs and QT and FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geralyn Abinader
XDCAM Codecs and QT and FCP
on Apr 5, 2009 at 8:46:45 pm

I did read many posts but I can't glean from them the exact info I need. I'm a bit of a novice here.

Stats: I have installed FCP 6.0.5; QT Pro 7.6; XDCAM Transfer 2.9.0. I have an MAC )S X 10.5.6, 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon and lots of ram and memory.

When I open either FCP or XDCAM Transfer I can see the proxy footage. I cannot see the HD footage. After about 5 minutes or so a translucent gray curtain comes down and it tells me to reboot my computer by holding in the power button. I do not really like to do this as many times as I've already done today. When I try to view the footage in QT it says "The movie could not be opened. The movie contains some invalid data"

When I open XDCAM Transfer, it says I'm missing the XDCAM Drive Software, which I had thought came with the transfer program, but apparently doesn't. At Sony site, I really can't figure out which software I'm supposed to download. I've already done: PDZK-P1 v290 Production (not sure why, wondering what that is now). I've installed the XDCAM Transfer 2.9 mpkg.

So bascially I'd like to be able to use FCP and the transfer program without crashing and view the clips in QT. any suggestions? Many Thanks.

Geralyn

Return to posts index

Geralyn Abinader
Re: XDCAM Codecs and QT and FCP
on Apr 5, 2009 at 8:58:33 pm

ONe more thing....

I did install one more thing which took care of the missing component. However, I literally crash every time I try and import into FCP and I still can't view anything in QT.

Thanks - Just thought I'd update it.

Geralyn

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:06:54 am

Do you have one of the U1 decks connected thru USB?

If not, the 2.9 software is not for you. The 2.9 update is only for the U1 decks to upgrade their firmware. You'll need the 2.8 version to get the complete software package needed for FCP.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Robert Dexter
on Apr 6, 2009 at 7:50:06 am

Sure, XDCAM Transfer 2.9.0 included updates to support write-back to the PDW-U1, but the necessary firmware update is a separate download and install. XDCAM Transfer 2.9.0 also includes bug fixes and other improvements which are relevant no matter what XDCAM or XDCAM EX you have.

XDCAM Transfer 2.9.0 -
https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-software-model-PDZKP1.aspx

PDW-U1 Firmware 2.1 incl. Mac -
https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-software-model-PDWU1.aspx

Sorry, none of this seems likely to solve the crash though... :-(

Return to posts index

Geralyn Abinader
on Apr 6, 2009 at 11:58:20 am

Hhi, I had already installed those. I wonder if I should uninstall 2.9 and only install 2.8? Sony doesn't seem to have a help line or anything. I have a Seagate Barracuda drive (bare) in a drive dock. the Transfer seems to be fine, but then the computer crashes after i try and import 1 or 2 clips into Final Cut. Well, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be really thankful.

Best,

Geralyn

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Apr 6, 2009 at 12:58:08 pm

[Geralyn Abinader] " I have a Seagate Barracuda drive (bare) in a drive dock."

Ok... The question here is... How is the drive hooked up to this drive dock and who is the manufacturer of the drive dock?

I ask this because you cannot use a USB 2.0 external drive unit to edit, ONLY firewire 400, firewire 800, eSATA, SCSI160, or fiber channel. USB is the speed but not the continuous throughput needed to edit.

Secondly, if your capture drive is almost full, this will be a major issue, too.

Do you have one of the PDW-U1 decks? If not, uninstall the 2.9 software and install version 2.8. 2.9 was created sole for the U1 drive for a firmware update..

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Geralyn Abinader
on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:44:18 pm

Hi, the manufacturer is Blacx Thermaltake. it's attached via eSATA. I have 900 GB free. I did uninstall 2.9 and install 2.8 and the computer restarted itself in the middle of file transfers.

What exactly do i need to have installed? I can dump everything and start again maybe. I need the XDCAM Transfer 2.8 and a Browser? Will the 2.8 have all the codecs I need?

Thanks.

Geralyn

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Apr 6, 2009 at 2:12:32 pm

I would suggest that you take the advice of Rafael and fix your hard drives and repair your permissions. Sounds like you have a serious hard rive issue here.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Jennifer Ray
on Oct 25, 2010 at 8:43:20 pm

you can't use USB 2.0 to edit?

I also have this thermaltake unit attached to my intel iMac 10.6.3 and have been having all sorts of crazy issues with it not allowing me to unmount after a few hours of use.

and some other stuff that is confusing to me.

In the past I have used Lacie with the USB 2.0 connection without any problems.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Oct 26, 2010 at 12:37:06 am

HI Jennifer

No. USB 2.0 is not recommended for editing as the protocol doesn't allow a high enough sustained data transfer rate needed, something that is very much needed for smooth editing performance. When you are working with single streams of low data rate formats then you might get away with it ... and its also worth noting that Apple have very much improved their USB 2.0 support relatively recently which helps enormously ... but as your data transfer demands increase then you'll find yourself in big trouble with USB2.0

Hope that helps
Andy

Return to posts index

Jennifer Ray
on Oct 26, 2010 at 2:21:19 am

Hi again Andy! :)

After speaking with Thermaltake I am returning the docking station - long story short, they state it doesn't work with Mac OS...

I'm looking into some RAID, something along the lines of this guy:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Mercury-EliteAL-Pro-RAID

any thoughts or recommendations from you or anyone on the forum?
I have yet to use this set up, always used firewire 800, 400 or the USB 2.0 but now, I have started editing HD and am gonna need to step up the game.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:43:25 pm

[Geralyn Abinader] " After about 5 minutes or so a translucent gray curtain comes down and it tells me to reboot my computer by holding in the power button"
Hi Geralyn,
That's call a "Kernell Panic" and probably you will be able to fix it running Diskwarrior, TexchTools or similar.
Cheers,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

(and here some clips for the friends: http://www.vimeo.com/2694745 )

Return to posts index

Geralyn Abinader
on Apr 6, 2009 at 2:04:49 pm

Hi - I ran the hardware check and all is fine. I'm really at a loss and need to edit this stuff this week. Does anyone know someone I can call at Sony? Or any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Geralyn

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Apr 6, 2009 at 2:14:09 pm

Hardware check is a start...

But you really need to run something like TechTool Pro or DiskWarrior to check and/or fix your hard drives.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Geralyn Abinader
on Apr 6, 2009 at 2:22:45 pm

Yes, that's what I did, I ran TechTool.

Geralyn

Return to posts index

Geralyn Abinader
on Apr 6, 2009 at 3:32:35 pm

The update: I just spent a lot of time on the phone with Sony. When I copied the files via eSATA from the external drive to the internal driv, I had no problem. I then performed the import into FCP from the internal drive and again no problem. Then I exchanged the eSATA connection for the USB connection and imported from the external drive. Again, no issues with the imports. So there is some disconnect when it comes to importing from the external drive via eSATA.

Now I'd like to figure this out, but I don't know who to approach: Apple? Seagate? Sony doesn't know what the problem is as they have never used this set up before.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Geralyn

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Apr 6, 2009 at 3:53:47 pm

Well, there you go...

You almost answered your own question after filling in the blanks some more.

Your issue is with your eSATA connection. I may be the drive but I would bet that your issue is with the eSATA card or its drivers.

Who manufactured your eSATA card? Are you sure that its Mac compatible and edit capable? This isn't always the case. Always check with the manufacturer if the product can be used with FCP and handle the throughput needed to edit. Inexpensive cards are always the best way to go. I would look at the card first before trashing anything else.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions

Return to posts index

Rob Ruzic
on Apr 6, 2009 at 4:18:04 pm

Good point. I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago. The solution was to update the drivers for the eSata card. Since then, its all been running smoothly.

Return to posts index

Geralyn Abinader
on Apr 7, 2009 at 2:18:14 pm

The final update in case anyone comes across this. I called the folks who sold me the computer system (a bit upset I might add) and it turns out that the SATA card is not compatible with a Mac Pro with over 2 gigs of memory. The card is a Sonnet Tempo 2.

Thanks to all who answered. Your input was very helpful.

Geralyn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]