FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB Video Output for FCP on a G5

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Fenner
USB Video Output for FCP on a G5
on Mar 26, 2009 at 10:29:20 am

I use FCP on a G5 and am looking for a device which will output my timeline to a CRT monitor. I currently go from the mac to a JVC SR-VS10 VCR via firewire, then route it to the monitor (via an s-video lead).

However this is noisy and messy and I would rather I could just go straight out the back of the mac into the monitor via a USB/Firewire device. I have found a few capture devices, but am unclear as to whether these also output as well as input.

Any suggestions for such devices?

Cheers

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: USB Video Output for FCP on a G5
on Mar 26, 2009 at 11:55:57 am

I might suggest the Canopus ADVC (or is it AVDC?) 110. I use it all the time and it's an inexpensive (about $200 from B&H or $150 on eBay) FireWire box. As a bonus, it's quite good for capturing from VHS as well! I do VHS to DVD transfer sometimes on the side. Check it out.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Mar 26, 2009 at 12:44:45 pm

Almost all the major capture cards (Kona, Blackmagic etc) are input and output devices. Just make sure you get one that is compatible with your PCI bus and G5 processor, as many are now PCI-E and intel drivers only. Or there's the Matrox MXO, or the excellent MXO2....

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

Return to posts index

adrian charles
on Mar 26, 2009 at 1:30:43 pm

Andrew,

Ben's recomendation of the MXO2 is a good one, but it does depend on your flavor of G5.

Please read the following from the Matrox MXO user Forum:

Hello

Designed to streamline editing workflow with Apple Final Cut Studio and Adobe Production Premium on MacBook Pros and Mac Pros, Matrox MXO2 provides broadcast-quality input/output, monitoring, and up/down/cross conversion.

The system requirements for the MXO2 are :
- Support on Apple Intel-based systems and the Leopard O/S (will not work on Tiger).
- On a laptop, the MXO2 requires to be plugged into the external express/34 slot found on all MBP.
- The MXO2 requires an internal x1 PCIe card on Apple towers. It cannot be connected to a PCI-X slot.

Therefore, the MXO2 will not be compatible with older G5 models.

Have a great day

JC
Customer Care Representative
Video Products Group
Corporate Headquarters
Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd.

Hope this helps!

Adrian

eye edit Ltd
FCP/Avid/Linear

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Mar 26, 2009 at 1:47:35 pm

If you are looking specifically for an alternative to using the Firewire output from your G5 to a DV device as a convertor (your JVC VCR) then the (original) MXO would be a reasonable option ... works on a G5, uses a DVI output from the host and can output any HD or SD timeline to HD/SD SDI, Component, S-Video or Composite (the box handles the SD downconvert as and when necessary). If you have any plan to work with HD then it might be a consideration. If its just your specific and noisy JVC DV VCR that is the problem then you might want to consider an alternative such as a Canopus ADVC unit or similar.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 27, 2009 at 4:28:45 am

A used Kona 2 will run you about $400-500 on eBay, and will provide you with many advantages over a firewire or DVI converter. The K2 will support HD and SD in nearly all formats (including uncompressed), and it can upconvert and downconvert as well. If you're planning on keeping your G5 for the next year, it would probably be a good investment.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]