FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing with the Canon EOS 5D MkII

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivier Lauchenauer
Editing with the Canon EOS 5D MkII
on Mar 25, 2009 at 3:41:15 pm

We've been doing some tests with the Canon SLR camera 5D Mk II and it records 30 fps even in the PAL setting. Now we've looking for the best workflow to get it to 25 fps. At the moment our favourite is cinema tools. Is there any other tricks and does anybody know if Canon are going to update their software. It's an impressive format but a bit of pain to post with.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Editing with the Canon EOS 5D MkII
on Mar 25, 2009 at 3:51:38 pm

[Olivier Lauchenauer] "At the moment our favourite is cinema tools"
Hi Olivier,
I think that with CinemaTools the only think you can do is to conform the p30 of the canon to p25.
You will get a movie that will play like a 16% slower.
You need Compressor, Nattress Standard Conversor or so.
And you need to convert your h264 to ProRess or so before to do that.
There was a thread last week about how to edit the Canon footage in FC.
it seems that the best way to convert the files is with MPGStreamclip.
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

(and here some clips for the friends: http://www.vimeo.com/2694745 )

Return to posts index

Olivier Lauchenauer
on Mar 25, 2009 at 5:04:34 pm

We did convert it to ProRess and we can pitch the sound by 16% which is a fix. But I wish they would make it work at 25 like i should! I guess it's the old USA centre of the universe story.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Mar 25, 2009 at 5:09:00 pm

Except that the stupid Canon cameras don't even work at the US standard frame rate. Once again a manufacturer, and I must say Canon is perhaps the worst at this, have come up with their own format and expect everyone to live with it, even though it doesn't work with anything else on the planet.

Have you tried running your footage through Compressor to convert it to an editable format and a frame rate that works for you?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Mar 25, 2009 at 9:04:42 pm

[Olivier Lauchenauer] "and we can pitch the sound by 16% which is a fix."

You're joking right? If you want to use this camera, then work at 30 and do a proper standards conversion to 25 using outboard hardware.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Mar 26, 2009 at 1:05:40 am

[Olivier Lauchenauer] "Now we've looking for the best workflow to get it to 25 fps."

Umm... Try another camera?

Honestly, if it only shoots at a frame rate that's inconvenient for you, why bother? You will either have to live with video that's 16% slower than the people that watch it, or you'll have to spend a lot of time, energy and money making the picture softer.

There are a lot of cameras on the market that make 1080 video at 25fps. it makes no sense to me that you have to kludge this one into your workflow.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Apr 1, 2009 at 9:15:23 am

Well, the camera does provide something others don't! The ability to shoot with the depth of some great lenses, like the 85mm f1.2. You might not be able to fit that look into your budget otherwise. The thing is, though, that the blurring is something that shows up in drastic movements, so if you're shooting from a tripod, you won't be disappointed.

B.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]