FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pixel aspect - Quicktime vs. FCP - Again, Please.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Collin Alexander
Pixel aspect - Quicktime vs. FCP - Again, Please.
on Mar 14, 2009 at 10:52:19 pm

NTSC is rectangular pixels, QT is square pixels. I know this issue has been discussed many times, I understand the problem, but I don't actually have a solution.

My final output is for a standard def NTSC DVD. If my timeline is rectangular pixels, then Quicktime stretches the files horizontally. If my timeline is square pixels, QT plays the files correctly, but then I'll have to convert my files for the DVD master.

I need to work with exported QT files for music.

I've tried exporting the work files every different way I can think of, and it doesn't make any difference, QT always wants square pixels, and stretches the picture.

How can I export from a NTSC rectangular pixel timeline so that QT will play the thing right?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dennis Couzin
Re: Pixel aspect - Quicktime vs. FCP - Again, Please.
on Mar 15, 2009 at 3:17:24 am

My experience is all with PAL's rectangular pixels, but I think you have no problem.

I leave my timeline with its usual rectangular pixels and go straight to Compressor for the mpeg2 conversion. DVD Studio Pro imports this file to make the DVD files. The resulting DVD plays with the correct aspect ratio.

I can make a QuickTime file straight from the same timeline. It initially plays with the wrong aspect ratio, but this is easily fixed in the QuickTime file playback data as follows:
(1) Open the file with QuickTime.
(2) Go to Window>Show Movie Properties.
(3) Select the Video Track
(4) Deselect Preserve Aspect Ratio
(5) Change the scaled size to give the aspect ratio you want. Do this by increasing one number while leaving the other number fixed.
(6) Press the Enter key
(7) Quit QuickTime Player
(8) Save changes.

The QuickTime file, with or without the playback modification, could also be used in Compressor to make the mpeg2 to make a DVD which plays with the correct aspect ratio.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 15, 2009 at 3:38:32 am

[Dennis Couzin] "The QuickTime file, with or without the playback modification, could also be used in Compressor to make the mpeg2 to make a DVD which plays with the correct aspect ratio."
No that easy.
When you change the Properties your file is not any more a standard NTSC.
When you bring it to any application (FC, MPEGStreamclip) the results are unpredictable.
So change the properties of the movie for display, but when you need to re-process it set the standard specs again.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

(and here some clips for the friends: http://www.vimeo.com/2694745 )

Return to posts index

Collin Alexander
on Mar 15, 2009 at 5:42:10 am

Thank you, thank you. Dennis' solution is great. I didn't know you could change the properties in Quicktime. That's exactly what I needed to do. I just change the dimensions from 720 x 480 to 640 x 480, and it plays right on my Virtual VTR.

The master file for the DVD will just be straight from compressor with no tweaking.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
David Roth Weiss
on Mar 15, 2009 at 7:17:23 am

[Collin Alexander] "Dennis' solution is great. I didn't know you could change the properties in Quicktime. That's exactly what I needed to do. I just change the dimensions from 720 x 480 to 640 x 480, and it plays right on my Virtual VTR. "

Dennis' method will work Collin, but that's really not the way to do it properly. Instead, try the following:

1. Open your 720x480 mov file in Quicktime Player:
2. Go to Window>>Show Movie Properties
3. Click on the line with the name of the .mov file.
4. Check the "Conform aperture to:" box
5. Change the dropdown menu to "Production"
6. Go to File>>Save

This make your file display properly in QT Player without changing the pixel dimensions.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 15, 2009 at 9:17:29 am

Carps!!
Where did you find David?
Great.
Why there is not a proper QT Player manual?
rafael

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Mar 15, 2009 at 2:07:49 pm

Raphael..

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-QuickTime-Quick-Reference/dp/03214...

good book, worth the 20 bucks.

Hector Berrebi
Schibber Group
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 15, 2009 at 2:19:24 pm

Hi Hector,
Thanks a lot for the link.
I'll order from Amazon.
I had no idea was something like that published.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 15, 2009 at 5:30:29 pm

[Rafael Amador] "Carps!!
Where did you find David?
Great. "

This is secret sauce that only Cow leaders know. Cowdog sends us to a special training facility where Shaolin Monks teach us all kinds of really cool dribble that we can use to amaze our friends and generate the mouse clicks that buy him beer and kibble.

Below, I reveal Cowdog's secret credo for the very first time. Memorize it and learn to live it, and perhaps one day you too will be fortunate enough to receive knowledge of the dribble.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Mar 15, 2009 at 11:35:14 pm

Okay, it would seem I've been getting it wrong all these years. I thought it was:

• walk under the tree
  • squat on the rock
  • time to break wind

My mistake.

- Don

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Mar 16, 2009 at 11:04:04 pm

The Cow needs to have a "Nominate for Best of the Cow" feature, like Craigslist.

David, this brilliant post would be my first nomination. Thank you for the laughs.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 16, 2009 at 11:13:23 pm

[Alan Okey] "The Cow needs to have a "Nominate for Best of the Cow" feature, like Craigslist.

David, this brilliant post would be my first nomination."

Thank you Alan. May the dribble be with you Grasshopper...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Tom Brooks
on Mar 15, 2009 at 3:29:18 pm

David,
Now if you could just put this in a Super Bowl ad or get it added to the Ten Commandments or something...
-Tom

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 15, 2009 at 5:35:27 pm

[Tom Brooks] "Now if you could just put this in a Super Bowl ad or get it added to the Ten Commandments or something... "

Tom,

I'd be happy if they'd just make it switchable so it would stick in the QT player instead of having to do it with every single QT file.

BTW, it seems to only work with DV files -- ProRes files at 720x480 aren't affected by this at all.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 16, 2009 at 3:52:37 am

David,
I'm sure that Willie and Augie get a different inspiration from trees and stones (guess they don't like the wind blowing their noses).
rafael

Return to posts index

Dennis Couzin
on Mar 15, 2009 at 4:19:33 pm

Thanks David for showing a sleaker solution.
Hiding in the corners of Apple's cobbled code are great tricks and also legacy garbage. My general preference for entering numbers over trusting jargon, such as "Conform aperture to production", is not the best approach to QuickTime.
The "proper" solution is one that completely avoids what Rafael refers to as "unpredictable results". Maybe David's is one.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Mar 15, 2009 at 4:55:27 pm

[Dennis Couzin] "My general preference for entering numbers over trusting jargon, such as "Conform aperture to production", is not the best approach to QuickTime. "

Come on Dennis, "Conform aperture to production" was probably worth at least few hundred lines of code and it's absolutely as clear and concise as it could possibly be. At least it is if you're one of Apple's 18-year-old geek code jockeys who has never worked a day in the video biz.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Stanley Flomin
on Jun 23, 2009 at 7:43:43 pm

Jeez, you saved me. I was going crazy saying to myself there's just got to be something simple I'm missing. I was going to be forced to work with premiere if I couldn't get it to work....which is odd because when I was using the sequence settings(with the same exact video) in premiere as a reference guide while trying to figure this out....square pixels was checked, but the final render was not 'squashed' and this check box never needed any checking in premiere. So its beyond me as to why premieres render was not squashed despite square pixels being checked....

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Mar 16, 2009 at 5:58:24 am

[Collin Alexander] "I need to work with exported QT files for music.
I've tried exporting the work files every different way I can think of, and it doesn't make any difference, QT always wants square pixels, and stretches the picture. "

All the responses to your post are interesting, but if you only need to work on music, the aspect ratio
displayed is irrelevant, the audio will play ok.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]