FORUMS: list search recent posts

Smoothcam edges

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Pearce
Smoothcam edges
on Mar 14, 2009 at 6:55:06 pm

I applied smoothcam to a clip and I went to adjust the settings in the Viewer's Filter tab. I set all three camera motion smoothness settings to 1. I then played with the auto-scale in an effort to reduce the "actual scale" as much as possible. I has Auto Scale set to 0.55 and an "Actual Scale" of 109%. I read on some forum that one way to reduce the actual scale is to use the razor blade to cut out the odd extreme frame that goes really strange. I went through the clip and every time I saw the black edges I would use the razor to cut out the offending frames. So I replayed the new clip from the start and found more instances of these bad frames where you can see the edges. Does anyone know why this happens? Also, sometimes when I would find a bad frame with black edges, once I made the first cut with the razor, when I scanned over it frame-by-frame to to the end of the series of bad frames, it would appear as if the bad frames had disappeared without me actually deleting them from the timeline. Maybe these are related? Any help would be appreciated - I'd love to keep the Auto Scale setting as low as possible to retain as much of the original image as possible.
Tim

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Smoothcam edges
on Mar 14, 2009 at 7:43:07 pm

Of course it would be great if one could stabilize video without blowing up the frame, but in order to compensate for the motion it is absolutely necessary, as the entire video frame is being moved in 2D space from it's centered position. By minimizing the enlargment of the frame all you're really doing is making the compensaton show at the edges of the screen.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: Smoothcam edges
on Mar 14, 2009 at 10:05:16 pm

A little further to what David said:

All stabilizers work the same way. They analyze the motion in the video and then move the shot in the opposite direction to compensate.

IOW, if your camera jerked to the right, the stabilizer will move your footage to the left, revealing black on the right side of your screen.

At the end of the process, we simply scale the footage up enough to hide the black.

There is no way around this. Those black areas are places where no information was recorded onto your tape.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]