FORUMS: list search recent posts

Projector screen - compositing slides on in post?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Ralph
Projector screen - compositing slides on in post?
on Feb 24, 2009 at 2:46:57 pm

Shooting a presenter using a projector on stage. The plan is to lay in the photos on the timeline...has anyone tried compositing the projector screen and photos in post? So I just get some shots of the blank screen with no presenter, and then on the FCP timeline composite the photos on top? Any thoughts or tips.

It would have to be done on my ibook in a hotel so no AE.

Peter

shootingbynumbers.com

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Projector screen - compositing slides on in post?
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:01:23 pm

If the presenter have a bit of light,, with a some CC you may be able to avoid all this process.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:31:52 pm

[Peter Ralph] "So I just get some shots of the blank screen with no presenter, and then on the FCP timeline composite the photos on top? Any thoughts or tips. "

No need to try to matte the photos into the projection screen if the photos are up full. That adds an affectation that may not be necessary and it adds a layer of complexity your portable may not be up to: rendering.

[Peter Ralph] "Shooting a presenter using a projector on stage. The plan is to lay in the photos on the timeline...has anyone tried compositing the projector screen and photos in post? "

It's a simple picture in picture effect. In the manual, It's rendering intensive and the effect gets difficult or impossible for newbies if the camera moves. Lock it down. If the talent is one of those dopes who likes to keep moving, you're screwed. When you're shooting, be sure you expose for the talent, not the screen.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:38:40 pm

I do quite a bit of these type of shows. What I do is dissolve to the power-point slides full screen in post. The viewer usually needs to read the information clearly. just seeing it or trying to put it in a wide shot usually won't work. Mainly because the presenters never understand that small type doesn't work on TV.

Ernie Santella
Santella Productions Inc.
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ken Summerall
on Feb 24, 2009 at 3:36:00 pm

[Peter Ralph] "So I just get some shots of the blank screen with no presenter, and then on the FCP timeline composite the photos on top?"

You can do that, or what I do is get a copy of the presentation from the presenter. Usually this is powerpoint, export the slides as graphics and use those in FCP. Very easy to do, unless I am not understanding what you want to do.

K

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Feb 24, 2009 at 6:57:02 pm

I understand there are many ways of "getting round" this issue.

I am not interested in the practical advantages/disadvantages - just achieving a certain aesthetic impact. This is a kind of surreal presentation and I want to capture some of that in the video. I am not trying to "record" the presentation in a linear manner.

Peter

shootingbynumbers.com

Return to posts index

david bogie
on Feb 24, 2009 at 9:39:41 pm

[Peter Ralph] "I am not interested in the practical advantages/disadvantages - just achieving a certain aesthetic impact. This is a kind of surreal presentation and I want to capture some of that in the video. I am not trying to "record" the presentation in a linear manner. "

Your OP was presented in terms of "How do I do this?" not "How do I make this surreal?"
Assuming you know more about the project than you do about FCP, what EXACTLY do you want to do?

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Feb 25, 2009 at 4:49:49 pm

hmm

well what I was looking for was advice with regard to compositing photos onto projector screen in post, not advice on how to avoid having to do it.

does that make sense?

Peter

shootingbynumbers.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]