FORUMS: list search recent posts

Toggle Disable All Effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Johnson
Toggle Disable All Effects
on Feb 20, 2009 at 7:42:10 pm

It's been a while since I needed it so I've now shamefully forgotten how to toggle between viewing a timeline clip in its original form and that same clip with all effects applied (vs. turning each effect off one-by-one in the filters window, which is not only slow, but doesn't allow the same kinds of comparisons).

I've searched the various FCP shortcut key lists and forum posts, but couldn't find this ... perhaps because I never knew the proper name.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: Toggle Disable All Effects
on Feb 20, 2009 at 10:57:10 pm

duplicate your sequence.

on one of them, select all on the timeline, right click, remove attributes
and one of the options is for fx.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Feb 21, 2009 at 12:07:35 pm

Thank you Chris.

I'm aware of the various long ways to compare an original clip and its altered version, but I was referring to the simple way ...

There is a combination of 2-3 keys that, when pressed while a clip is selected in the timeline, temporarily shows that clip in its original form in the viewer without the need to remove or turn off the applied effects individually. This keyboard combination is apparently not commonly known since I originally found it in an obscure Final Cut article 3-4 years ago, its not listed in any of the normal FCP keyboard shortcut lists and none of the Final Cut users I've talked to knew about it. Knowing that, you would think I would've written it down somewhere, but I didn't since I didn't think I'd ever forget it.

I suppose I could just keep trying various key combos until I find it, but I'm afraid I'd start changing all kinds of settings without realizing it and cause real problems for myself that way.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 21, 2009 at 7:06:05 pm

A quick way that I use is to simply do a matchcut from the timeline. This will pull your original scene up in the Viewer window right next to your canvas window.It makes it easy to compare the scene with and without filters when they are side by side.
Tom

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Feb 23, 2009 at 4:35:06 pm

Thank you for your reply, Tom. I would still very much like to find the keyboard combination since using match cuts for this purpose works fine during the editing process, but not so well with completed edits wherein I need to compare original footage to corrected footage without changing anything in the timeline. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Feb 26, 2009 at 3:45:31 pm

By simply finding the Match cut, you won't change anything in your timeline. You will simply pull up the original shot in your Viewer and the effected shot will be in the Canvas window right next to it, assuming that you are running your windows side by side. Then if you just click on the two windows, the original or the effected video will go to your external monitor for review.
Tom

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Feb 26, 2009 at 3:59:30 pm

Thanks, Tom.

The keyboard shortcut is much faster and simpler, but I guess the match cut method will have to do since no one seem to know the keyboard shortcut ... I've even tried the Apple forum and have gotten zero replies!

Return to posts index

Aaron Sheddrick
on Apr 27, 2009 at 10:20:14 pm

control and the number one is the answer u seek.

However it only disables one filter at a go apparently. which sux if you have secondaries and masks, mattes, etc. In which case match frame would be a better idea.

Return to posts index

Carlos Guilherme Falco
on May 17, 2010 at 10:46:40 am

Uhm... The "Frame Viewer" tool anyone? It's Option-7, and it's a charm!
Cheers mateys!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]