FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Searching for movie data in file...."

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Holst
"Searching for movie data in file...."
on Jan 23, 2009 at 4:33:58 pm

Hi there,

I've copied all my media files (including render files, project files etc.) from one to another external hard drive (basically copied the whole drive).

After reconnecting all the media, some files has gone corrupt.

When starting up FCP, opening 1 specific project and 2 sequences in that project, a long string of windows pop up with: "Searching for movie data in file-FIN-00000021" and "Searching for movie data in file IV's.mov". So it is both Capture scratch files and Render files. When I open the clips is mentions (Like "IV's"), they play perfectly.

I've tried to delete my preferences with no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Anne.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: "Searching for movie data in file...."
on Jan 23, 2009 at 4:56:10 pm

q[Anne Holst] "After reconnecting all the media, some files has gone corrupt. "

They're not corrupt, they just don't exist. These are reference movies that you exported and then brought back into your program. But the items the reference files point to are gone, probably render files that were replaced with updates or deleted because FCP assumed they were obsolete.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 23, 2009 at 4:56:58 pm

What that error means is that you are missing render files. You have QTRefrence movies that are referencing render files, and cannot work without those render files.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Anne Holst
on Jan 23, 2009 at 5:23:42 pm

Thank you both!

So I have deleted the sequences that were affected and deleted my FCP preferences, but the problem still occur when opening up FCP. Have you any suggestions on how to overcome this problem?

Thanks,
Anne.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 23, 2009 at 5:31:54 pm

It isn't a sequence that is causing this...it is a reference movie. When you export a QT movie and make it NOT self contained, it basically makes a reference movie that points to media and render files. THAT is what is causing this...a reference movie.

Shane

Return to posts index

Rob Frenette
on May 7, 2009 at 12:39:30 am

has anyone had this problem when dealing with red one footage?

Every time i open up my project it goes through a half hour of "searching for movie data in file xxxxxx.R3D

So I'm assuming this has nothing to do with render files. It seems like FCP is losing track of my R3D proxy files????

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 8, 2009 at 9:39:04 pm

[Rob Frenette] "So I'm assuming this has nothing to do with render files. It seems like FCP is losing track of my R3D proxy files????"

Actually, it sounds like it lost track of your MASTER files. The proxies are the files that reference the master footage, and the .R3D is a master file extension

Shane

Return to posts index

jonah maddox
on Mar 9, 2011 at 5:17:31 pm

YES! I totally am having this problem now, it was fine this morning and now it is not. I opened an older auto saved project and the same problem. spending hours now reconnecting one by one r3d files. .

Did you ever find a solution?

Return to posts index

Rob Frenette
on Mar 9, 2011 at 5:34:42 pm

I never REALLY found out what was causing the problem. My solution was to stop editing using proxy files. I would recommend finding a different/better workflow. I bought a RedRocket card and render all the footage to ProRes. Others use Premiere, where you can cut with the R3Ds natively. The proxy files were causing me too much of a headache.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 23, 2009 at 6:03:05 pm

You'll have to also delete the clips from the bin. AND don't export and import unless you know exactly what's going on. Nested seqs were designed to accomplish the same thing without having this issue and retaing tc info. But there are times when an export import is easier. Just don't do ref movies.

Return to posts index

Nathan Mobley
on Jan 8, 2010 at 3:48:58 pm

I have had the ref movie problem before, but this morning FCP is looking for data from a ref movie that isn't in the project I am working on. And just to check that I didn't miss the file in the bin, I closed all projects, quit FCP and relaunced and it is still searching for the files even though it only opens "untitled project". Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Return to posts index

Kristopher Schooler
on Jun 3, 2010 at 8:47:54 pm

I am having the same issue and it is super annoying. It makes FCP load up slower than usual. I would love to find out how to end this.

I personally do not like to work with reference movies because something always seems to go missing. I helped a buddy with a project that was using them, and now that the project is done and gone, FCP is still trying to find the reference clips when it loads.

Return to posts index

Ryan Poirier
on Jun 4, 2010 at 6:13:26 pm

I've had this exact same problem. A project I was no longer working on was previously loaded via a networked HDD. When I wasn't connected to that drive I'd get a similar message saying FCP 7.0.2 was searing for a render file for a project I haven't worked on in weeks, and was not loaded in FCP's project bins. From a user standpoint there was absolutely no reason FCP should be looking for these files and I couldn't figure out why it still wanted them.

Eventually I decided to clean house, Found all my autosave, waveform cache, & thumbnail files and trashed nearly everything save for some recent autosaves. It all added up to a few gigs worth of space just from those files.

Relaunch FCP. Everything back to normal.

My guess is one of the waveform or thumbnail files were referencing to the networked drive. Why FCP was still trying to load these cache files I'm not sure. Perhaps it's default action is to load all files located in these folders. Similar to loading a plugins folder. If it's there, it'll try to read it.

A little spring cleaning can go a long way to keep an efficiently running ship! I've noticed FCP launches more snappy now, even compared to before that error message ;~)

All the more reason to clean out old files. As cruft builds up, you start to loose performance. But it's usually so slow you don't even notice it happening. Until FCP has heart attack.

-®yan P.

Return to posts index

gary Olsen
on Jul 7, 2010 at 2:26:55 am

solved this one!
tho it sure wasn't quick

I MOVED media -- WITH THE media manager
and all went to hell!
the media I moved manually -- just dragging the files -- oddly turned out fine. but he MM-moved stuff -- disaster
now I'm getting "searching for movie data in file..."
over and over
aaaaaaaa!
wont load!
takes forever!
30 min!
(feature length movie)

after SCOURING the internets (finding nooothing! wasted a day and a half!)
I realized any files that were doing this would have to be trashed and then reconnected.

SO: once fcp finnnnnally loaded after literally 40+ "cancels",
I realized it was always alerting me about the AUDIO-half of the movie

and yes, my files are split -- audio and video in separate folders
AUDIO CAPTURE SCRATCH
and CAPTURE SCRATCH for video

so then:
in fcp highlighted the clips in the timeline,
said shift+D
and told the computer to move files to trash.
(the computer was annoyed about supposedly separated files -- it claimed to "not know" where the audio file was -- tho it was in the same place as ever ( I think MM moved the video file and NOT the audio) so it did nothing.)

then: I put the video file and audio file (separate) on the desktop
opened with QT7 (works best) and then QT7 did the same thing! "searching for movie data"!
then I helped it find the audio file and then saved as a
self contained movie

opened up fCP again and fcp didn’t make me wait forever!
it just assumed I didn’t care about those files I'd "deleted"

then I reconnected the files in the timeline to the new "self contained movies" (that had both sound an nd vid
and voila! success!

Return to posts index

Astrid Karlsson
on Apr 4, 2012 at 5:49:10 pm

Aha! The same. Opening an empty project was still causing "looking for..." errors. It was the thumbnail cache for me. Once deleted it pops open as it ought.

MBP 2.2 GHz intel core duo/ 6 GB RAM /GeForce 8600M GT
Mac Pro 2.8 Quad / Nvidia Quadro 4000 / 12 GB RAM / OSX 10.7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]