FORUMS: list search recent posts

EDL for re-scanning 35mm feature that was edited in 29.97

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Deaver
EDL for re-scanning 35mm feature that was edited in 29.97
on Jan 16, 2009 at 3:02:48 pm

Here's the situation.

The feature was shot on 35mm and telecined onto digibeta tapes. The original editor captured footage into FCP as 29.97 quicktime files. They were never converted to 23.98. The timeline the project is edited in is 29.97 as well.

We want to re-scan the negatives to create an HD version of the film. But the lab needs a 23.98 timecode EDL. I can drop the clips in order into an new 23.98 sequence in FCP and re-align them. This will generate an EDL in 23.98. But it will still be referencing quicktime files that are 29.97. Will this work?

We have no FLEx file that came with the telecine. Just the captured footage with keycode in it.

This is my first time working with film, but it's clear this project was started incorrectly. Is there a way to produce the correct EDL now?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Return to posts index

Aaron Neitz
Re: EDL for re-scanning 35mm feature that was edited in 29.97
on Jan 16, 2009 at 5:27:39 pm

just make your 29.97 EDL out of FCP. Open Cinema Tools. There's a menu option to translate a 30fps EDL to 24fps. Presto

Return to posts index

Stephen Deaver
on Jan 16, 2009 at 6:30:18 pm

Perfect. Thank you very much, Aaron.

Return to posts index

Steven Gonzales
on Jan 16, 2009 at 10:34:50 pm

Will the timecode of your new telecine match the timecode of your earlier telecine?

If not, won't you have to recut based on the burned in keycode?

Substituting HD footage for lower res usually means both share the same timecode, and were made at the same time, or the low res was dubbed from the HD with matching timecode.

Return to posts index

Stephen Deaver
on Jan 17, 2009 at 6:22:50 pm

That's a great question. I believe the lab is going to try to match by scanning the same first frame. But I don't really know about the process on their end. If things end up a bit off, included handles should allow me to shift things back into position. Tedious, but possible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]