FORUMS: list search recent posts

QuickTime mpeg-2 playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raven Plenty
QuickTime mpeg-2 playback
on Jan 14, 2009 at 5:07:47 pm

I realize that as of FCP Studio 2, mpeg-2 encoding is not included in QuickTime anymore; it's only available in Compressor instead. However, I hadn't realized that QuickTime won't even play mpeg-2 files either. So I can create m2v files in Compressor but if I can't view them? Do I have to drag them into DVD Studio Pro, or is there a simpler alternative?

This is relatively minor, but it is sometimes handy to be able to quickly preview m2v files (eg. sorting though old poorly organized job folders I've inherited), and now I can't do this.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
Re: QuickTime mpeg-2 playback
on Jan 14, 2009 at 6:17:38 pm

You will need to purchase the Quicktime MPEG-2 playback component from Apple's website.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jan 14, 2009 at 6:20:18 pm

Alternately, you could use a third party freeware application like MPEG Streamclip.

Return to posts index

Woody Retherford
on Feb 3, 2017 at 4:17:34 pm

still need the mpeg 2 component with MPEG Streamclip and good luck finding it.

Woody Retherford

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Jan 14, 2009 at 6:23:22 pm

They couldn't just include that in the $1500 CAD cost of Final Cut Studio? Wow. It doesn't bother me as much as ceaseless violence in the Middle East, but still...

Return to posts index

Slika Ton
on Jan 14, 2009 at 10:51:05 pm

QT MPEG2 playback component is included as part of Final Cut Studio 2...

Return to posts index

David Goldenberg
on Mar 6, 2009 at 6:58:14 pm

Slika,

I did an upgrade from FCS to FCS 2 and I cannot locate the MPEG-2 playback component. When I try to use MPEG Streamclip, I get a warning that I need to load the MPEG-2 playback component.

Advice would be appreciated

Return to posts index

Todd Beabout
on Jan 14, 2009 at 8:04:20 pm

It seems to playback in QuickTime for me even though I haven't purchased the MPEG QuickTime thing.

You might check out Perian. It's a free open-source self described "Swiss Army Knife for QuickTime" and gives you a bunch of QuickTime components (including DivX, Xvid, etc...) and hasn't caused any problems with Final Cut for me. I would disclaim that you should install anything QuickTime-related at your own risk, but Perian does provide an unistall option if something were to go wrong.

Don't know if that will give you the MPEG-2 playback, but it's still pretty cool.

-Todd Beabout
Vazda Studios

Return to posts index

Raven Plenty
on Jan 15, 2009 at 4:34:05 pm

Slika, are you sure Studio 2 includes it? I know Studio 1 included it (as well as QT export to mpeg-2).

Todd – unless Studio 2 is supposed to include the playback component and it just isn't working on my computer – my hunch is that you had Studio 1 installed (now or in the past), which enabled mpeg-2 playback and encoding in QuickTime.

I have found that Perian doesn't enable QT playback. VLC or MPEG Streamclip will play them, but I still don't get to Quick Look m2v files, which would be ideal, but there you have it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]