FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting files for general use

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Bell
Exporting files for general use
on Dec 30, 2008 at 6:48:58 pm

Hi,

I have a couple of questions. I am exporting footage to sell as stock. The files are Pro Res HQ, and our intent is to sell them as Pro Res files. First question, can Avid and Premiere use Pro Res? Second question, can I export the files out of Final cut as quicktimes (easy) or do I need to run them through compressor? If I export as Final Cut.mov files can users of other edit systems import the file?

I was not impressed with some test exports through compressor. The footage got noisy. I don't understand why compressor would need to re-compress files for the same codec.

Advice welcome.

Return to posts index

david bogie
Re: Exporting files for general use
on Dec 30, 2008 at 9:56:28 pm

Find other stock video shops and see what they're selling but your delivery format is secondary to your acquisition format. Most likely they offer a variety of delivery formats that all begin with full 108060p HD masters. These days, the last word in acquisition is RED.

Everything suffers during compression or scaling, can't be helped, something has to be discarded when you make a 10- or 50-to-1 transcode. Better compression is achieved by learning how use the scene-by-scene controls in the compression system of choice. Compressor is fine for most things but I think shops selling RED footage are using more sophisticated applications and highly skilled operators.

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 31, 2008 at 6:14:04 am

[Chris Bell] "First question, can Avid and Premiere use Pro Res?"
Yes. Apple have released free reader for ProRess in PC, so the PC people with QT (Pro I guess) can play those files.

[Chris Bell] "can I export the files out of Final cut as quicktimes (easy) or do I need to run them through compressor"
Compressor can do things that FC can not, but in this case you don't need Compressor at all.
What kind of codec is the original fooatge you are using?
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Bell
on Dec 31, 2008 at 3:43:46 pm

The footage is al shot on RED, and converted to Pro Res HQ 1080p 23.98fps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]