FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding 2:3 pulldown for 29.97 SD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Laberee
Adding 2:3 pulldown for 29.97 SD
on Dec 15, 2008 at 8:01:53 pm

Aren't these exciting times...

Original material was shot on P2 720/24 and archival material 480/60, mostly VHS. Now the broadcaster has dropped the HD delivery requirement and would like mixed letterbox on DigiBeta. I thought that adding pulldown thru After Effects for the P2 material would solve my problems, but the downscaling has added a lot of noticble edges in high contrast areas.

FCP's solution of 2:2:2:4 is not acceptable in high motion areas, but I could sneak it thru for most interviews.

So I guess my question is what is the preffered method for adding 2:3 pulldown back into 23.98 material. I realize that there will be occasional frames with the wrong cadence, but that can be edited around.

I might try doing 23-29 conversion in After FX and doing resizing in FCP, but i'd rather have a one stop solution.

Thanx for any help
Darren Laberee
Riddle Films Inc.
"attaching the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance for somewhat less than a century"

Darren Laberee
Riddle Films Inc.
Toronto Canada
416-778-4973

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Adding 2:3 pulldown for 29.97 SD
on Dec 15, 2008 at 8:15:47 pm

So what format is your timeline...23.98 DVCPro HD?

Do you have a Kona card?

Return to posts index

Darren Laberee
on Dec 15, 2008 at 10:17:04 pm

The timeline we've built on is dvcpro HD 720 23.98. I can get access to a kona 3 card, but I need to format and deliver to a different facility, so I'd prefer to stay in house. I have a pair of Blackmagic cards, and I was thinking of recapturing the output thru SDI, but i'm sure there must be an all software solution. I mean i hope anyways.

Thanx
Darren

Darren Laberee
Riddle Films Inc.
Toronto Canada
416-778-4973

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 15, 2008 at 10:21:20 pm

Okay, if I were you and want to keep it in house, I'd nest my 23.98 HD sequence in to a 23.98 SD sequence and then let the Balckmagic card add 3:2 pulldown to my output.

If you had a Kona card, you could simply down convert your 23.98 HD sequence to 29.97 SD in a click of a few buttons.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Darren Laberee
on Dec 15, 2008 at 10:33:19 pm

I guess what you're telling me is that the best bet it to output and recapture my footage. I was hoping to avoid, but the more i read, the worse it seems. I will be making that a bug note to apple. I agree with your earlier post, 2:2:2:4 is fine for working, but rendering to 2:3 is a simple enough process.

Thanx for the clarity
Darren

Darren Laberee
Riddle Films Inc.
Toronto Canada
416-778-4973

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 15, 2008 at 10:39:34 pm

[Darren Laberee] "I guess what you're telling me is that the best bet it to output and recapture my footage."

Uh no, that's not what I am saying at all. What I am teliing yo to do is drag your 23.98 HD seqeunce in to a 23.98 SD sequence that you have made. You can choose whether or not you want that letterboxed or anamorphic. Then upon outout, your balcmagic card will add 3:2 pulldown out to SD tape.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Darren Laberee
on Dec 15, 2008 at 10:49:09 pm

Jeremy,
My apologies, I jumped to conclusions, but alas I only have a beta deck, so I assumed an output from one FCP to another thru SDI.

I have to take the final QT on a drive to another post house for Digibeta SD delivery.

Darren Laberee
Riddle Films Inc.
Toronto Canada
416-778-4973

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 16, 2008 at 2:43:33 am

Okay. You said you have a capture card correct? And you connect this capture card to your beta deck?

Simply drag your 23.98 HD sequence to a 23.98 SD sequence. Choose whichever distrotion proerties you might want (anamorphic, pillar box, center punch) and then render. You then play out your 23.98 SD sequence through the capture card which will add 3:2 pulldown to get your footage to 29.97 with PROPER pulldown.

Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sean ONeil
on Dec 16, 2008 at 2:46:04 am

[Darren Laberee] "I have to take the final QT on a drive to another post house for Digibeta SD delivery."

Why do you feel the need to add pulldown prior to that? It should be done when outputting to tape. Not before. Are they use Avid Meridian or Media 100 v7 or something? Any editing system made this decade can handle 23.976 footage.

Sean

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 16, 2008 at 12:38:49 am

[Darren Laberee] "I was thinking of recapturing the output thru SDI, but i'm sure there must be an all software solution. I mean i hope anyways."

Not as a single solution.

AE can do it.
some plugins can do it.
Occasionally even compressor can do it correctly.

the only single solution that can do it correctly all the time is hardware- and the reason why jeremy said try a kona card, they are the industry standard.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]