FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio insert edittting on DigBeta causes clicks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geert van den Berg
Audio insert edittting on DigBeta causes clicks
on Dec 4, 2008 at 8:50:42 am

At our facility we use FCP or Pro Tools to layback mixes to DigiBeta. When doing audio insert editting or punch-ins, a more common term for audio engineers, there's always a small click when doing this from FCP.

If audio is written from the top to end of the program there's no problems, but occassionally when a mistake has been made or something is off-sync, after this has been corrected in the audio studios, an insert edit has to be made on the DigiBeta.

If we sync up the Pro Tools set to the Digi, we can punch-in audio without any clicks. I was always under the assumption that the Digi makes a small crossfade when punching in audio, but this doesn't seem to happen with FCP.

Audio from Pro Tools is connected via AES/EBU, and when we're editting from FCP it's going via Decklink card via SDI.

We'd rather use FCP for this, because the patch on the patchbay is easier and faster to make. But FCP is also more convenient because the same operator is also insert editting titles on the digi, Switching from FCP to PT, requires to switch apps and also that the input settings on the Digi and patch on the patchbay needs to be changed.

Anyone regularly doing audio inserts on DigiBeta, who has any advice on this?

A workaround is to search for hard transititions or to search spots where the audio is very low level, but some programs don't have these kind of transitions and have music all the time.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio insert edittting on DigBeta causes clicks
on Dec 4, 2008 at 10:23:54 am

FCP copied the AVID methodology of parking on the frame the insert is starting on and playing from stationary as the edit is performed. This means there is no pre roll of FCP at the edit point. So there is no audio to crossfade in on and it clicks.

A much better methodology would be to preroll with the tape and so there is sound and picture pre rolling the edit insert. I always revert to my Fairlight to do audio inserts because you are punching in on synced machines which works. FCP does it in a way that audio inserts won't work.

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
Re: Audio insert edittting on DigBeta causes clicks
on Dec 4, 2008 at 12:36:13 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I already suspected the pre-roll. Glad to see it confirmed now.

At least now I know I don't have to experiment any further with any settings, as it won't have any effect.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]