FORUMS: list search recent posts

Asset Management Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Elmore
Asset Management Question
on Nov 26, 2008 at 3:38:12 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to find a quick solution to our company's short term asset management workflow. Eventually we plan to be on a functioning server based asset management system, but in the meantime, I need to come up with a short term solution that doesn't require buying more and more hard drives to work off of.

Here's my solution: (But I'd like to hear if others have a better solution)

We have four edit stations. Each station is equipped with a single 1tb external drive that is a scratch/workdrive. They will use this drive to store all project material and media. Once a project is completed, editor will connect an external box like an g-tech g-speed es or something like that (4tb of space) and offload all project material onto that drive for archiving. Once archived, the initial 1tb external gets wiped and used again.

Once the 4tb archive is full, we buy a new set of internal drives and plug them in the sata enclosure.

Does this sound like a simple enough process or am I over thinking it? Also, if this is a good solution, what are some recommended sata cards and enclosures?

We're all working off of current Mac Pros with 16g ram, FCP studio. We will be editing, at minimum HDV video, but more likely than not, we will be primarily working with DVCPRO HD 1080i60 footage for Long form programming.

Hope that's not too much to digest.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Asset Management Question
on Nov 26, 2008 at 3:47:47 pm

I think you have that backwards. I'd hook work off of the GSpeed, and use the 1TB drives for archiving. Archive to two of them if you're nervous about it.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Nov 26, 2008 at 4:39:41 pm

I'd archive to LT04 tape. Buying new HDs every time you need to offload projects seems like a waste of money. I don't like the idea of storing media on drives that aren't spun up on a regular basis.

Kevin Monahan
http://www.fcpworld.com
Author - Motion Graphics and Effects in Final Cut Pro

Return to posts index

Boyd McCollum
on Nov 26, 2008 at 5:35:41 pm

You need to think in terms of day-to-day back up as well as long term storage.

At a minimum, I'd keep media files separate from the project files. Keep media on the external drive and all other project related files (FCP project files, audio, stills, scripts, etc.) on an internal drive. You can then do a daily back up of the project files (keep it in one folder, with subfolders based on the different elements in there) to the external drive you have the media on.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]