FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adjusting Underexposed Footage in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark pagan
Adjusting Underexposed Footage in FCP
on Nov 23, 2008 at 7:58:13 pm

I just got some footage back shot on a Canon A1 and the footage is pretty underexposed. It was shot in front of a grey backdrop with a performer lit by a softbox and a fill light (I think they had a filter on the camera).
Anybody have any troubleshooting advice via FCP? The camera is static the whole time, I just want to adjust the footage without getting too grainy or ugly...

Thanks as always,
Mark

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Adjusting Underexposed Footage in FCP
on Nov 23, 2008 at 11:42:06 pm

Drop on the 3-way Color Corrector and adjust the mids up, and maybe compensate by dropping black back a tad. But really, if it is too dark and you need to dig out the image, depending on how dark the footage will be grainy. No avoiding that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dennis Leppell
on Nov 24, 2008 at 4:57:21 pm

exactly what shane said, but I find I usually need to boost that saturation also when raising the mids

Return to posts index

Wes Koetje
on Nov 24, 2008 at 8:37:20 pm

I have been fighting this issue my self for the past couple days and have found that if you make a duplicate the clip ontop of its self, change the composite mode to "add" and then apply the gamma filter to the top clip, and adjust to my liking. Its the best solution I have found so far, much less noise then the 3way filter and I have been able to pull out some details out of the dark.

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

mark pagan
on Nov 25, 2008 at 1:23:56 am

Thanks for all the info!

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Nov 25, 2008 at 4:45:36 pm

Hi Mark,
try using the lyric shadow highlight plugin. Its free and does a really good job of bringing up shadows. You need to play with the saturation in 3wayCC at the same time too.
good luck
nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]