FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to highlight or single out someone on screen?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
How to highlight or single out someone on screen?
on Nov 3, 2008 at 10:53:23 pm

I am about to start working on a project where I need to be able to either highlight or single out the person on screen. The project is a High School Football player's athletic reel he wants to send out to colleges.

Is this something I can do in FCP or do I need to use Motion? I have Motion 2 by the way and not 3. I am thinking I would need to highlight him on the screen for a few seconds before the play and then show him in action throughout the play. I would repeat this process throughout the video so the scouts and coaches can easily identify him on screen.

I remember watching a tutorial a long while ago that showed you how to do this but I can't locate that tutorial anymore.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
Re: How to highlight or single out someone on screen?
on Nov 3, 2008 at 11:19:58 pm

http://www.fcpbook.com/Effects5.html

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Boyd McCollum
on Nov 3, 2008 at 11:26:30 pm

You can do it in FCP. Duplicate the clip with the person you want to highlight and place it above the original clip. Add a Mask Shape filter to the duplicate clip (Effects/Video Filters/Matte/Mask Shape). Reduce the opacity of the bottom clip, it'll help you see the mask and the amount is up to you based on how much you want to highlight your subject. In the Mask Shape filter, adjust the shape and size to what you need and use the Center crosshair to center the mask on your subject. Keyframe for motion as needed.

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Nov 4, 2008 at 3:23:46 pm

I'd suggest that the fastest way to do this is to simply start each clip with a freeze frame with your man highlighted. Then just cut into the action from the frame after the freeze. The BBC do this on Match Of the Day (a football [soccer] highlights programme).
Saves you spending forever keyframing the highlight in relation to the guy's movement.

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Nov 4, 2008 at 11:52:12 pm

Actually after I posted my original question I found a way to do this. I parked the playhead over the clip I wanted to use. I then clicked BORIS then VECTOR SHAPE. Went into the controls tab and changed the parameters to my liking then dragged the oval shape over to the Canvas and selected Superimpose. Go back over to the browser and scroll down to uncheck FILL IN (color); Add a border, reposition the oval exactly where I wanted it on the screen, rendered it and was finished.

Thanks for the replies!

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Melinda Molina
on May 26, 2010 at 9:54:32 pm

I was wondering the same thing in regards to the original question. But I was also wondering if someone could tell me how to highlight a subject for a sports reel, using animated arrows?

Return to posts index

Nan Oliphint
on Jun 11, 2012 at 7:36:11 pm

I am working on a similar project. I'm just curious what would you charge for a small sports highlight reel?

Thanks for your time & many cheers!

Nan

Return to posts index

Adams Keit
on Nov 12, 2012 at 10:54:25 am

Hi C.P,
Which programm did U use to `How to highlight or single out someone on video`
Thanks in advance for your answer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]