FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and Transfer Deletes P2 Contents folder!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Kuzelicki
Log and Transfer Deletes P2 Contents folder!
on Nov 3, 2008 at 6:47:21 am

Hey there,

I just noticed something scary with Final Cut Pro's Log and Transfer window.

As I was deleting imported files from the main Log and Transfer window I was also (unknowingly) deleting them from their source location ie. when I checked the "Contents" folder where they were originally stored, it was completely empty!!!

That seems waaay too dangerous to me!

What if I was just doing a test, and then later wanted to re-import the Contents from my stored P2 card folders... I'd find them all empty. What the... ?

I guess my question then is, once I've used the Log and Transfer window to convert a P2 card's Contents folder to Quicktimes how do I clear the main window WITHOUT deleting my original source contents?

Otherwise I'm going to end up with hundreds of clips sitting in there - that I'm too scared to remove for fear of deleting the original material.

I know there's some simple thing I'm probably missing here - as usual - but some clarification would be great. Surely, FCP wouldn't make it so easy for someone to accidentally delete master files.

Thanks in advance,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Log and Transfer Deletes P2 Contents folder!
on Nov 3, 2008 at 7:30:25 am

[Alex Kuzelicki] "That seems waaay too dangerous to me! "

FCP warns you rather clearly that pressing DELETE will delete the footage from the source.

"Are you sure you want to delete the selected media? This action is undoable."

[Alex Kuzelicki] "I guess my question then is, once I've used the Log and Transfer window to convert a P2 card's Contents folder to Quicktimes how do I clear the main window WITHOUT deleting my original source contents? "

In the upper left corner of the L&T window there is an EJECT button. Press that to get rid of the CONTENTS folder and the clips contained within.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Nov 3, 2008 at 8:04:57 am

Hey Shane,

Had blinkers on - thought that the "selected media" simply meant the list in the window and not the actual source media. And now (you've pointed it out) I see that "Eject" button sitting there right in front of my eyes.

You may laugh at my expense :)

Thanks for the help.

Appreciated,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 3, 2008 at 3:09:46 pm

Alex

When you offload your P2 cards, it is advised to make multiple copies to different hard drives (protected RAID is recommended). That way, if a hard drive fails or in your case, you accidently deleted clips, you always have a backup.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Nov 3, 2008 at 6:36:27 pm

Hey,

Thanks Steve. Yeah, luckily that's the workflow WE'VE been following... otherwise we'd be in big trouble.

I actually tried the Mirrored RAID way of doing things as shown by Noah Kadner on his great HVX200 DVD... but it didn't work. Followed all the steps but after the Mac configured the two drives as one RAID it turned out only one drive was being copied to - the other one remained empty.

A few of us tried the process again and again but no luck. It all got too hard, and we didn't have the time to find the problem, so we ended up using HDLog to simply copy to two destinations instead.

Would love to know why we can't get the RAID working as shown by Noah. We had two 1-Terabyte drives (exactly the same) linked together by Firewire 800, did exactly the process as shown on Noah's vid, the Mac set up the RAID (two drives as one)... but showed it as only being 1-Terabyte in size (instead of two). That's when we had the first inkling it might not be working.

After that all the P2 cards we offloaded to the RAID just went to one of the drives - no copy on the other one. Who knows why?

Wish someone would just make this stuff easy :)

Anyway, thanks for your advice. Appreciated,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 3, 2008 at 7:45:28 pm

[Alex Kuzelicki] " the Mac set up the RAID (two drives as one)... but showed it as only being 1-Terabyte in size (instead of two). That's when we had the first inkling it might not be working. "

Raid1 cuts the aggregate size of the two drives in half as it's using one for storing and one for a direct parity. That means your 2 - 1TB drives will be seen as 1 - 1TB drive.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 3, 2008 at 8:41:40 pm

I have a mirrored RAID of 2 SATAs inside my MacPro. 2 750GB drives. And yes, of course they only show as 1 750GB drive. I've never had to recover from a Mirrored RAID. What's the process? Is it so simple that if one drive dies, you just unplug it and the other drive is seen as a single drive? Won't it complain that only half the raid is there?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 3, 2008 at 8:37:24 pm

In the mean time, you can still use the one disk as normal, but:

If the drive fails, you should get a warning. Open Disk Utility and there you can rebuild the mirror with a new disk.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Nov 4, 2008 at 2:05:04 am

Hey Jeremy,

Yeah, we did figure that might be the case but, in the end, there was still only one copy present on one of the drives. The other was empty.

We might still be 'getting something wrong' but our assumptions were:

- Set up the two drives as a RAID, which makes the computer 'see' them as one.
- Copy the data to the RAID and it makes a copy on both drives.
- When you connect just one drive, you should be able to access one copy (say the Master copy). When you access just the other drive, you should be able to access the Backup copy.

Or is there 'something else' you have to do to access the second copy?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this department. Have just never done it before so I have no idea. Any advice is greatly welcome.

Thanks,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 4, 2008 at 4:52:26 am

[Alex Kuzelicki] "- Set up the two drives as a RAID, which makes the computer 'see' them as one."

How did you do this? I imagine that is the step that has gone wrong.

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Nov 4, 2008 at 5:22:12 am

Hey,

Yeah, that's what we thought too. But what we're doing does 'seem' to work ie. it makes two drives appear as one. But later the footage only seems to show up on one drive.

Here's our process, courtesy of Noah:

Go to MacHD > Utilities > Disk Utility
This will bring up a window with a list of all your connected drives.

Select the names of the two drives you wish to RAID together.

Click on the RAID tab.

Drag the drives to the working window.

Set Volume Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Set RAID Type to Mirrored RAID Set

Hit the Create button.

Now, perhaps I just don't understand how a Mirrored RAID is supposed to work - in terms of that extra backup - but I can't find the 'copy'.

Maybe someone can clarify?

Cheers,

ALEX

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 3, 2008 at 10:14:25 pm

Want easy? Get a Drobo.

Want more easy? Get MXF4QT and deal with the MXF files natively.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.

Return to posts index

Alex Kuzelicki
on Nov 4, 2008 at 2:12:52 am

Now those sound like great ideas. Easy is good.

I wonder though if there's a way to get those MXF 'movies' from Final Cut Pro to After Effects (through Automatic Duck) which I pretty much do all the time?

Drobo is a robot? I wonder if I can get it to do my laundry? :) Now that would be impressive.

Thanks for the help. Cheers,

ALEX

BTW, Shane I have your "Getting Organized in FCP" vid. Great stuff - learned a lot from it.

Any more in the pipeline? ... Maybe something covering the setup of RAID's and all that tech stuff that can be so frustrating but so necessary.

Return to posts index

Dave Dawson
on Dec 16, 2008 at 3:46:34 pm

Hey, so I made the same mistake as you. I thought that final cut was referring to the selected files in the window, not the actual files on the drive.
So I lost almost all of my footage.
Has anyone had this problem?
Has anyone recovered their footage?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

pedro muniz
on Jul 17, 2009 at 8:33:44 pm

hi. I had the same problem and i'm kind of in a crisis, the client is mad and I'm about to loose money. Please tell me everything about data recovery!!!!!! please!

Return to posts index

Gerald Crump
on Aug 26, 2012 at 10:33:05 pm

it is now 2012 and I just had the same mistake if deleting the file from log and transfer and loosing the originals...does anyone know if you can recover this data? no files were sent to the trash folder. does FCP have a separate back up....yes i know I'm an idiot and should have read the prompt closely but any advice towards recovery would be greatly appreciated...

thank you
JC " Currently Screwed" Crump

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Aug 27, 2012 at 2:46:03 am

If you delete them, they are gone. If you delete them from the card, you can send the card to Panasonic and see if they can recover the files.

This is why you need redundant backup (two locations at least) when it comes to tapeless.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]