FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering woes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Vaka
Rendering woes
on Nov 2, 2008 at 3:26:55 pm

Ok, so I know that when you add clips to a sequence the sequence settings need to match the clip settings otherwise you will have to render every clip before you can do anything with it. The problem I'm faced with is a client has provided me with .wmv files that are 30 FPS and 320 x 240. That's easy enough to match, the problem I'm running into is I have no idea what compressor these things are using, and as a result can't match it up in FCP. I'm using Studio 1 so I can't just have the program adjust the sequence for me. Am I doomed to render every clip? (AE and Premiere won't even recognize the files).

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Rendering woes
on Nov 2, 2008 at 4:22:21 pm

[Nick Vaka] "a client has provided me with .wmv files that are 30 FPS and 320 x 240. That's easy enough to match"

Not really. WMV is a Web delivery codec, not a an editing codec. So you have to transcode WMV to a QT file at, which should most likely be DV. Since WMV is not a codec which comes for free with FCP, you will need to purchase and install Flip4Mac Studio to be able import and transcode it. http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_studio.htm

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Nick Vaka
Re: Rendering woes
on Nov 2, 2008 at 4:54:56 pm

I can get it to import to FCP, and it will render and play in real-time. But I was afraid I was going to have to transcode everything (it was worth asking about though ^_^).

Thanks so much for the reply!

Nick

Return to posts index

Nick Vaka
More Problems
on Nov 2, 2008 at 6:42:37 pm

Ok, so I used MPEG Stream Clip to convert the files and make them usable by FCP. But now I can't get FCP to read anything that isn't the standard 720 x 480, DV/DVC Pro 29.97. I matched the sequence and the clip to these specs (720 x 480, 30 FPS, DV/DVC Pro square pixels. Audio plays, but it has to render the video. I'm out of ideas.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: More Problems
on Nov 2, 2008 at 9:01:18 pm

[Nick Vaka] "720 x 480, DV/DVC Pro 29.97. I matched the sequence and the clip to these specs (720 x 480, 30 FPS, DV/DVC Pro square pixels. Audio plays, but it has to render the video. I'm out of ideas."

Those don't match. 29.97 is not 30. If your sequence is truly set to 30fps, it will have to render all the 29.97 clips.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Nick Vaka
on Nov 2, 2008 at 9:17:07 pm

I made them both 30 FPS since that's what the client gave me, but I also tried having them both set to 29.97. It works if I render it out to the full 720 x 480 but then it's blowing the image up by over 100%. Granted the final deliverables are going to be 320 x 240, but I'm not certain if this is screwing with the quality too much.

I made both the clip and sequence match these specs. 320 x 240, 30 FPS, square pixels, 4:3 aspect using the DV/DVC Pro compressor. What's interesting is that when I put this clip into a standard DV sequence it will play in real time with the green render bar, but it's all red in the one that matches it spec for spec.

I watched your tutorial on the subject today (great stuff). Would you recommend blowing it up and using it that way to make it work since this is getting shrunk down again anyway?

Thank you for taking the time to help!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 3, 2008 at 1:11:08 pm

If you know that you will end up 320x240 try to keep in tat size. Convert from WMV to QT, then blow-up and downsize is not little degrading workflow.
You may try converting the WMV to PhotoJPEG 75% instead of DV. You will extract better quality picture (422 YUV) than with the DV/DVCPro from the WMV clips, and (in theory) you should have more RT performance with this codec.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Nick Vaka
on Nov 3, 2008 at 1:19:38 pm

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm going to try the Photo JPEG as soon as I finish his splash animation. I just got word that my sources were supposed to be 640 x 480 so I'm going to see what the deal is before I get in too much deeper.

Thanks again!

Nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]