FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get arond this "General Error"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Evans
How to get arond this "General Error"
on Oct 15, 2008 at 5:16:44 am

3 hour long timeline, every time I either try to render the whole thing or export it to MPEG2, im getting general error and no output file.

Ive tried repairing permissions, and clearing up space in case it was running out of memory.

COuld there be any other reason for this message?

How is something like this resolved. Deadline approaching, and Im out of Ideas!

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Todd Sansom
Re: How to get arond this "General Error"
on Oct 15, 2008 at 5:24:30 am

can you complete your processes exporting 2 hours?

Todd Sansom
Cinematographer .:. Editor

Return to posts index

Josh Evans
on Oct 15, 2008 at 7:35:52 am

No I tried even exporting just one hour and that had same problem.

I cant even render the sequence totally, i.e. there are a lot of sections where the render indicator at the top is not totally grey and still has the slightly different "FUll" status colour. WHen I try to render them out, i get a notice saying that I am out of space for rendering, and to use render manager. But I have 170 gig free on my drive, so that shouldnt be a problem...

Return to posts index

Wojtek Jezowski
on Oct 15, 2008 at 11:02:07 am

If you have multiple HDs, maybe the appropriate one isn't checked in as a scratch disk etc.
Did you try exporting it through compressor? What about rendering out ina different codec, does that work? What are your sequence settings?

Wojtek Jezowski

Return to posts index

Josh Evans
on Oct 15, 2008 at 12:09:43 pm

Im working in Apple Prores 422(HQ)

All footage was captured in HDV 1080150 (PAL)

I tried exporting an MPEG 2 using compressor, it quits and displays 'general error' after a few hours and there is no MPEG 2 file. Only an Aiff.

I am using an external which has been selected as scratch, it has around 160 gig free.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Oct 15, 2008 at 12:16:57 pm

Just to be clear you are not using Export using Compressor in FCP, are you? If you are, don't. Export the file and bring the exported file into Compressor.

What is the external drive you're exporting to, how is it connected to the computer, and how is it formatted?

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP6," "Basic Training for FCS2" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

wale adewumi
on Aug 5, 2011 at 4:04:57 pm

Thank you so much for your help i have been on this video for the past 3 days but now it's rendering. thanks men.

Return to posts index

Wojtek Jezowski
on Oct 15, 2008 at 12:17:39 pm

:O

Try exporting the project from FC in current settings then importing the file into comressor.
Noting else I can think of.

Wojtek Jezowski

Return to posts index

Josh Evans
on Oct 15, 2008 at 1:17:47 pm

thanks ill give it a shot.

appreciate you taking the time.

Return to posts index

Michael Orlansky
on Oct 15, 2008 at 7:13:23 pm

We see this general error often enough at our facility, its typically a picture file or piece of captured media that is read only. Try rendering the timeline in sections and see what part fails. Get info on each clip in that area and make sure it's read write.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Tom Parke
on Dec 23, 2008 at 1:33:04 am

Mike,

I found this thread when searching for the same general error. How do I determine whether I have a read-write video or not? I remember seeing somesuch message a few weeks ago before I did an archive and restore, but I am still getting general errors. Currently, I have a 35 minute video that had the general error, then I exported the first half. This worked, however the second half does not work, even after I split that in half.

I've been exporting 1080/30p video pasted into a DV NTSC anamorphic timeline via QT Conversion with the same DV settings, field dominance: none. I get the same general error if I all I do is render the selection.

MBP DP 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB HD, FCS 2, all software current as of today.

Tom Parke
ProScan DP

Return to posts index

Ahmed Tarabily
on Dec 12, 2012 at 7:08:33 pm

check from the info of the file and see if it's read only or read and write, if you find it read only change it to read and write and then choose "apply to all enclosed items" if it's there, if not just choose read and write and work with it.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Kesten Migdal
on Apr 26, 2011 at 4:31:55 pm

Thank you! I was having the same issue. The problem was a .PSD file I had swapped out with the same name. For some reason it didn't like that. Usually I update the file and that works fine. This time I deleted the .PSD file, then created a new one with the same name. I had to manually go in and add the Photoshop back to the two places I had it placed in my timeline.

Return to posts index

jeff rosenberg
on Jun 1, 2010 at 5:12:05 pm

Its EASY!!!! I just had the same exact problem. It is happening because your left and right motion arrows are focused on a picture of video clip that is not encompassing your unrendered section. So just get rid of all your motion arrows. Then it will work.

Return to posts index

David Gaona
on Jun 4, 2010 at 10:53:42 am

How do you get rid of the motion arrows? Where do we find them.

Return to posts index

Suzan Beraza
on Aug 7, 2010 at 4:07:35 am

I am having the exact same "General Error" problem and am trying desperately to finish a film. What do you mean by motion arrows? If it is easier to explain by phone, please call me at 970-728-6639. I'm a bit overwhelmed by this problem.

Best,
Suzan

Return to posts index

Anders Moden
on Oct 9, 2010 at 2:18:12 pm

I think I have part of the solution that I found on another forum. I guess "general error" can encompass multiple problems.

Even though I have a separate hard drive set up for FCP, FCP insists on creating a Final Cut Pro Documents folder in documents folder on my internal hard drive. So it gets confused when there's two FCPDocuments folders. Nothing in the system settings in FCP points to that location, still it creates a new folder every time it starts up.

I cannot make freeze frames, no markers gets exported with a qt-movie, if I export direct to compressor the markers appear.

The general error warning also appears directly after starting up FCP.

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:18:32 am

In my case it was a bad clip (relinked to mismatching media). The most useful thing was doing renders, and halving the range each time until I zeroed out on the culprit.

Return to posts index

Josh Hayes
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:47:34 pm

This is a good point. General Error is just that a general error. However I can tell you what worked for me in my case. I pasted below my response from Creative Cow forum.

"I'm sure there's different reasons for some people, but I figured out what was causing it on my end. The common factor most of us have is that these are new drives. And with new drives comes a bunch of new cables. I pulled the new firewire cable I was using (that had just come with my drive) and switched it with a firewire 800 cable I know worked, and wholla. Problem instantly solved!

Why does is always have to happen on a deadline?
"

Return to posts index

Georgios Stylianopoulos
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:28:37 pm

Hello,

I know this comes rather late but someone can use it...
I tried several staff but the following worked, don't know if it works for you but give it a try:
My case: I had exported a file, did some changes and tried to export it once more Bang! General error.
Solution: restarted Mac (I know its an old PC habit and I'm 99% sure it didn't have anything to do
with the solution, but I have to mention EXACTLY what I did) and then deleted the original file.
Tried to export it with different setting, export worked fine.
Deleted the file once more. Tried to export it with the wanted settings and bingo! No general error.

Hope this helps someone...

George

Return to posts index

Daniel Korb
on Sep 26, 2011 at 4:10:30 am

I FOUND A SOLUTION! hit render then touch your desktop, so FCP is in the back ground. That's it. I had Activity Monitor on and noticed when I left FCP it's ram usage dropped from 250-400mb. Now I can render things that would never render before or I had to render 1 frame at a time. I just rendered something that would have taken me all day in about 20 minutes!

Return to posts index

Richard Jochum
on Oct 31, 2011 at 9:04:57 pm

I had general error (34) issues too and after reading this post I decided to look for problems on my end. My solution: Make sure that you clear unintentional Mark-in or Mark-out points. That did it for me.

Return to posts index

Misael Corrales
on Apr 10, 2012 at 1:32:51 am

Hi, i´ve been looking around this tipical error on final cut, i dont know how to fix it, but maybe i know the cause, at least just for me, when im triying to save, export, render, the general error happens, the cause is my hard disk or maybe my hard disk box, the disk stops working and lost conexión with final cut, you must restart your external hard disk and the problem is solved, if you are editing a long video, please save your project or just fix final cut to save it for you at least every 5 minutes, the disk doesn´t stop working and the error hasn´t apear for a while, hope it helps .

Return to posts index

Stanya Kahn
on Dec 7, 2013 at 8:52:25 pm

Since there are so many different things that can cause "General Error", what I do (and I do this anyway) is to often do a Save As and make a new project. I just got a "General Error" message after sending a segment to Compressor (I've also hear this can cause it and better to export a QT, then bring it into Compressor, duh I should have done that). While my new sequence in the new project had the corrupt file (copied over after the export), i was able to go back into the previous project and get the same clip. It works fine in the project that had the error message now. Luckily, i was able to see exactly which clip was the problem because the timeline would play and then stop at that clip giving me the error message.
I know it's hard to know when to stop and make a new project, so do it often. I have had the error message happen just after making crucial edits and that sucks.
hope this helps a little. save often, back up often, make copies often. especially with large projects that have many clips etc..

Return to posts index

Kelly Gunning
on Jan 8, 2014 at 6:39:39 pm

ANY IDEAS HERE? I am having the same type of issue with a project. When I open the sequence it tells me "General Error" then "out of memory" Prior to this when the sequence is open it gives me a red screen on the canvas reading "Display unavailable Close and reopen window to restore" When I do close it, it will not reopen. Ahhh! Help me:)
It is a small project file with minimum footage from a canon 5dmIII. I think I have tried everything.

Return to posts index

Caroline Scott
on Jun 25, 2015 at 4:46:08 pm

Hey did you find the answer to this? I am having the same trouble now.. !! thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]