FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcp log and transfer not working idle in queue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andre doucet
fcp log and transfer not working idle in queue
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:25:55 pm

I love this stuff. so everything has been working fine with logging and transferring but not today. I'm transfer P2 footage from a hard drive hooked up to a server and everything works fine till I add clip to queue. It will run for about 30 seconds then stop and say that it is idle. If anyone has run across this please let me know what i can do.
thanks
dre
system G5 running fcp6hd

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: fcp log and transfer not working idle in queue
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:49:14 pm

So your server is your media drive? Do you have it set as such in FCP? How are you connected to this drive? How is it formatted?

And....

#36 - One or More P2 files failed to import.

Shane's Stock Answer #36 - "One or more clips failed to import..."

Very often in the field with this camera the camera operator will delete clips from the P2 card that they just don't like. That is the beauty of this camera. But, the still for that video file (located in the CLIP folder in the CONTENTS folder)...the still that you see when you are in the P2 Import window...is not deleted. So you will see the image, and the name, but the video file would have been deleted.

What you can do it compare the file names in the VIDEO folder and CLIP folder and see if anything is missing. If something is, then you know what the problem is. You can then just import the rest a few at time, skipping that one.

ALSO...in the P2 Import window...in the P2 Browser, there is a little sprocket drop down menu. Click on that and choose PREFERENCES. Uncheck REMOVE PULLDOWN and then try importing again.

ALSO...make sure your file names aren't too long. Try shortening them and see if that works.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

andre doucet
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:53:52 pm

the server is set up for fcp and in the write formate for the footage that we have saves on the other 2 drivers in the serve. everything is hard wired so there should be any trouble there (?) the footage is all the same 720p24 hdvpro. when i do just transfer the footage to the desk top though things are fine so it would indicate that something is wrong with the server or drives but it all worked fine before. don't really know what else to say.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 7, 2008 at 6:57:25 pm

What kind of server is it? Fibre? Ethernet? Not that I know JACK about networked drives, but that would be useful information for someone who does. Although if it works to the desktop, but not to the networked drives, that sounds like a PERMISSIONS issue...like you now might not have WRITE access to those drives. I'd get the IT guy on that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dolores Bernal
on May 14, 2009 at 10:32:00 pm

I struggled for a good while to arrive to a solution to making the Add Selection To Queue to work. If you're having problems with the clip getting stuck in "idle," what you need to do is delete the FCP preferences files. Here are instructions on how to do that:

1. Quit Final Cut Pro

2. Click the Finder icon in the Dock.

3. From the Go menu, choose Go to Folder.

4. Type: ~/Library/Preferences/ Note: The tilde "~" refers to your home directory. For more information see "Mac OS X: Using Your Home Directory".

5. Click Go.

6. Drag the file named "com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist" to the Trash (Figure 1).

7. Double-click the folder named "Final Cut Pro User Data".

8. Drag the file named "Final Cut Pro 4.0 Preferences" to the Trash (see Figure 2).

9. If you see it, drag the file named "Final Cut Pro POA Cache" to the Trash (Figure 2).

10. Open Final Cut Pro and try again.

Your log and transfer should work now.

DMB

Return to posts index

Rossi THomas
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:47:30 pm

Hello,

I have a Canon Vixia HF10 and a new macbook pro 2.66 ghz. I have FCP 6 installed.

When I log and transfer the images show at the top, but when i drag them down and begin to transfer under status an (!) shows, and it says IDLE.
I have changed the settings to apple 422, and also tried apple interm, both do not work. Please help!

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Dolores Bernal
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:52:57 pm

These were the steps I took which resolved the problem you're talking about:

Close FCP. Go to Library, then Preferences, then Final Cut Pro User Data and delete this file: Final Cut Pro 6.0 Prefs.fcset

Empty your trash. Re-start the computer and you shouldn't have that problem anymore.

Bests,
Dolores

DMB

Return to posts index

Rossi THomas
on Sep 23, 2009 at 7:44:54 pm

Hi Dolores,

I tried doing what you said, and still it is not working. Status is still showing the ! and saying idle. Any other suggestions? I even tried under preferences- apple proRes 422, and apple interm codec and still nothing.

Rossi

Return to posts index

Scott Shucher
on Oct 18, 2009 at 7:59:55 pm

Don't know if you ever got this straightened away, but I had a similar issue today. I was trying to Log and Transfer clips from SD Cards. Yesterday everything was fine. Today I got the red exclamation point, and an "idle" message. After much restarting, and testing, I found that renaming the clips in the L&T window (adding leading zeros to the "clip number) would solve the problem.

MacPro 3.2ghz 8 core, 4 Gbyte RAM, FCP 6.0.5, OS X.5.6
QT7.5.5, Kona3 (v6.1), Atto FC41-ES, 8TB Custom RAID-striped RAID 3.
NVidia Geoforce 8800GT

Return to posts index

Mezan Morrison
on May 8, 2010 at 7:50:32 pm

Greetings!

I've tried all of the solutions int his post, however the clips become idle and then a red exclamation point appears. Are there any other solutions? I'm using FCP 6.0 on MAC OS X 10.6.3.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gerry Santos
on Sep 26, 2010 at 11:23:39 pm

Hi Mezan, I'm having the exact same problem and that red exclamation point is driving me crazy. If I can see the files in preview why can't I transfer them? Please let me know if anyone has cracked this problem...

Frustrated and Ornery

Gerry

Return to posts index

Mezan Morrison
on Sep 27, 2010 at 5:48:36 am

I had this problem specifically with spanned and incomplete files. This was because I was trying to transfer the P2 cards singly instead of at the same time.

Generally, I download the raw P2 footage first and then drag the content file into the Log and transfer window. Once all of the raw footage is in the window, select all or some of the files to be transferred.

Apparently, this happens because of long clips that are broken/cut while filming, so all of the information needs to be in the LT window for the clip to be successfully transferred.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

juan de la torre
on Nov 15, 2010 at 6:59:35 pm

i know this is an old post but if i was still checking it for help then i'm sure someone else may find this helpful. i was also getting that idle error warning and what i did was rename the files i was trying to transfer.

Then instead of dragging and dropping all or one file at a time. I would select (or highlight) the clip one clip at a time, then click in the viewer window " add clip to queue" and off it went. no more idle message.

Return to posts index

hari babu
on May 22, 2012 at 9:41:46 pm

Really Its very useful for me , thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Rick Helderman
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:21:57 pm

have you gotten any info that solves your problem. please let me know cuz I have the same problem. I have searched hi and answer an for an
and have found nothing that works

Return to posts index

Rick Helderman
on Feb 15, 2011 at 6:35:53 pm

I've tried everything that has been posted and nothing works. I'm so frustrated I could scream.

Return to posts index

Gerry Santos
on Feb 15, 2011 at 6:50:31 pm

I could not make it work on my machine, leading me to believe that it was a hardware error. I took the footage to another machine (same specs, same install) and it worked fine.

Return to posts index

Shipherd Reed
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:34:45 pm

Did you ever find a solution?

I've tried EVERYTHING on this thread and still get the ! idle result. I have a new MacPro, and it all captures just fine on my old machine but not the new one and the drives are internal so I can't move them around.

Help!

Return to posts index

Monto Neal
on Aug 9, 2011 at 6:04:42 am

Have you had any luck finding a solution to the red ! and 'idle' notice. I'm having the same problem and have tried the things within this thread as well. Oddly enough, I used to have no problem with L&T from SD cards (recorded on Canon VIXIA HF R10) - I was logging and transferring without any problems when I was running Tiger on my mac book pro. Recently I upgraded to Snow Leopard and now I'm running into the ! and 'idle' message, when I drag/drop or select from the viewer when attempting to transfer the data. Have you had any success?

Return to posts index

Cade Loven
on Mar 3, 2012 at 7:16:23 am

I use a Panasonic HPX.

Similar problem...but with a solution which fixed my problem but did not give me a clue about the cause or how to prevent it from happening again:

my camera for some reason split a 20 minute dance session into 5 different files on the P2 Card, all labeled "incomplete." -- with a frame missing between each.

Four of the files from that session imported just fine - I was able to edit them together for a continuous video (with the aforementioned missing frames).

One of the files simply died in Idle every time I tried to transfer it.

I tried a few of the above solutions and none of them worked.

MY SOLUTION:

The L&T window has a playback area to the top right (not sure what that's called). By using "In" and "Out" points, I tried transferring very small sections of the offending file. It's working and I'm able to cut the clips together to make one continuous video.

It is really cumbersome, but it's allowing me to have my footage.

Now if only someone could tell me why this happened...

Return to posts index

Jacob Ventura
on Feb 25, 2013 at 10:01:57 am

Hello all! I say it with so much excitment beacuse i had the same problem and I found the solution!!!
Ready?

on your "Log and Trasfer Window" to the right of all you clips there is a very tiny setting Icon with a drop down menu,
click it, then go to preferences. It says "Import Preferences" un-check the "Remove Advance Pulldown and Duplicate Frames"
and click "OK"

then just drag and drop to queue. THAT WILL FIX IT!!
HOPE THAT HELPS.

if that doesn't help, I dont know what will....but that should do it.

Return to posts index

Carol Schaffner
on Aug 11, 2013 at 6:25:28 pm

I was having the same problem. 1 clip queued - Idle. The solution I found was to make sure that below the view window you add an in and out point of the clip. Click "Add Clip to Queue" from below the view window.

Return to posts index

Matt Rockett
on Jan 4, 2020 at 11:21:46 pm

I tried this and it worked for me also. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]