FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Cinema Display as Video Monitor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Bass
Apple Cinema Display as Video Monitor
on Sep 10, 2008 at 11:16:49 pm

Hi all,

I just upgraded to a MacPro, only to find out that it is not compatible with the cheap LCD television I was using as an improvised video monitor (composite video does not work with MacPro evidently).

Therefore, I was wondering whether or not the Apple Cinema Display HD monitor which I also upgraded to could be used as a monitor? As it is HD does it accurately display what an HD television would?

Any other suggestions for getting a monitor up and running again.

Any relatively cheap, quality HD video monitors out there that can be recommended?

Thanks in advance.

*Craig*

Return to posts index

Dane Henry
Re: Apple Cinema Display as Video Monitor
on Sep 10, 2008 at 11:25:59 pm

BlackMagic Designs has a low cost solution, the HDlink.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/hdlink/

Also, search the forums, this is a well discussed topic.

-Dane

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Sep 10, 2008 at 11:43:18 pm

[Dane Henry] "BlackMagic Designs has a low cost solution, the HDlink."

No Dane, the HDLink takes an SDI signal an converts it to DVI for input to an HD monitor. Where is he going to get that SDI signal.

What Craig really needs is either a BM or Kona card, or at the bare minimum, he could get himself a $900 Matrox MXO. The MXO takes the DVI computer monitor output and converts that into a true video signal for display on the Apple Cinema Display.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Apple Final Cut Pro, Business & Marketing, and Indie Film & Documentary forums.

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Sep 10, 2008 at 11:47:12 pm

Well, he also can just go DVI out to the ACD, it can't be calibrated for broadcast, but it can get close, and doesn't cost $900. This advice from Graeme Nattress.

BTW any FireWire deck can probably run composite out to the old monitor, what it will look like I don't want to know.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Dane Henry
on Sep 11, 2008 at 4:58:09 pm

Woops!!!!!

My bad, didn't read the specs thoroughly. Hope I didn't cause any confusion.

-Dane

Return to posts index

Lu Nelson
on Sep 12, 2008 at 7:45:08 am

I would warn you away from the HDLink.

I bought this and the MXO both, and had the chance to see them side by side. The HDLink does not properly translate 601 or 709 color, it does not support interlaced signals (it simulates them, sort of), and it has a long lag-time behind the canvas, especially noticeable when shuttling (sthg like half a second)

I sold the HDlink. The MXO works very well with an ACD for color and interlacing, though it does have a lag time but you can easily switch back to Digital Cinema mode when just cutting, as this has no lag.

Lu Nelson
Berlin, Germany

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]