phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheppard
Re: After security update (Mojave) the echo 15 does not respond
on Apr 9, 2020 at 5:02:30 pm

Try a PRAM reset. First disconnect all external devices/peripherals except for the mouse and keyboard. Then restart and immediately press and hold the Command+Option+P+R keys until the Mac cycles through three extra startup sounds (that's 4 total times you'll hear the startup sound, once for the regular startup sound and three others for the three PRAM reset cycles). Then release the keys and reconnect your externals and see if the Echo 15 is working.

If not, maybe the driver needs to be reinstalled. I once owned a Sonnet Tempo SSD Pro Plus card, and I had to re-install the driver after I upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite. Perhaps a similar issue occurred in your case, even though it was triggered by a security update rather than an OS upgrade.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Apr 11, 2020 at 1:12:37 pm

Hi Patrick,

it seems that one of my thunderbolt connections in the Imac Pro is dead.
The echo works when I used another TB connector.
I then put on the same connection the TB3 dual display adapter.
The displays won't work. I used the next TB connection and it worked.
Any ideas to get the TB Connector to work?

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheppard
on Apr 14, 2020 at 5:01:20 pm

Rainer,

Did you do the PRAM reset as described above? If so, then the TB port might be non-functional.

Are you already using the other three TB ports? If not, then plug the Echo and the dual display adapter into two other TB ports. Or, plug the display adapter into the TB port on back of the Echo for an inline connection of the Echo and the displays off of a single TB port.

If your other TB ports are already used, then looking at this from a financial standpoint, I suggest that you try to find a solution that allows you to keep your overall I/O setup the same while using other available functioning ports.

For example, can you reconfigure you overall I/O setup using the iMac's USB ports for some of your requirements? What are you using the Echo for? The internal drive bay? The DVD burner? The USB or eSATA ports? I'm talking about evaluating your I/O needs and coming up with an alternate plan, even if that means purchasing other equipment to fill that need. Because the only other option I'm aware of is to take the iMac to Apple and see if they can fix the 4th TB port at what I assume would be a very high cost to you.

As an aside, and for what it's worth, I like to use temperature monitoring/fan control software because it provides manual control over the fans in my Mac. I use TG Pro by Tunabelly Software. It works wonderfully, and it's super cheap right now:

https://www.tunabellysoftware.com/tgpro/

I mention this because one cause of hardware failure is heat stress, and while I know that the iMac Pro has an excellent airflow system, high temps over time could still be the cause of the TB port issue, especially with high-volume data I/O through Thunderbolt docks. Software like TG Pro can be configured manually to increase your Mac's baseline fan speed to keep things cooler inside than what Apple might deem necessary. Consistently lower heat means less stress on the computer and its components over time, which tends to equate to longer life.

What's $10, or even $20, if it buys an extra 2 or 3 years of use vs. having to replace the computer sooner because some critical (and expensive) component failed due to prolonged heat stress?

Incidentally, I find another thing to be beneficial when it comes to longevity of computers/components/peripherals, and electronics in general: Surge protection/UPS devices, especially ones that regulate voltage and supply clean electricity. This comes down to the same thing: less stress on the computer and its components over time, which tends to equate to longer life.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Apr 11, 2020 at 1:19:03 pm

Hi Patrick,

it seems to be the TB connection Nr.4 in the ImacPro.
When I use another TB connection the sonnet works.
I then tried to use the TB3 dual display adapter in Nr.4 and it wont work.
Any ideas how to get the TB connection Nr.4 to work?

thanks,

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheppard
on Apr 14, 2020 at 5:03:03 pm

Please see my reply above, it got posted above your last post

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Apr 16, 2020 at 8:09:32 am

Hi Patrick,

did as you said, but the TB4 is still dead.
Good news, I dont need it right now.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved