MAC OS X: Forum

MAC UPGRADE - Will the Mojave firmware upgrade on a mid 2010 tower disallow other boot drives in sierra to work?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Flaxton
MAC UPGRADE - Will the Mojave firmware upgrade on a mid 2010 tower disallow other boot drives in sierra to work?
on Apr 2, 2020 at 8:38:33 am

I'm avoiding buying the new mac because we UK folks now pay pounds where American's pay dollars - so our costs have risen by at least a quarter when buying a mac. The kit specs I need are around £15k and when you add vat that becomes in dollars $23k - SO:

I upgraded my 5.1 tower and bought a high level 4tb ssd which runs at 1350 mbs (comprised of 4 x 1tb NVMes) - on a new mac that same ssd will run at 5000/6000 mbs (ISH)

So I figured if I update the 5.1 firmware to mojave (but not do a full install) this will then support the ssd (made up of 4 NVMe's). Meaning I should next be able to get maybe 2600 mbs read and write. My question now is, if I upgrade the firmware and I have sierra or high sierra on other boot drives - will those OSX's be able to run or will I have finished their usability? I have pretty much migrated most things to High Sierra so Mojave is just a step on but Sierra is useful for FCP7 and older legacy programmes.

This may seem a naive question but my tech understanding is self taught so it's got holes in it and this is one of them. But I can currently run enough 5 layers of 4k with effects, distortions, transformations etc without too many issues (staying in best quality on FCP) - but that extra 1000 mbs playback would help.

I have a 1tb OWC accelsior ssd for my High Sierra boot drive and applications (and will perhaps eventually migrate to Mojave)
I keep the 4tb drive solely as an FCP library
I have a 3rd Angelbird 1tb ssd to write out finished files to (and boot up High Sierra)
And I've 3 raided standard hard drives in a 6tb raid (and boot up Sierra)

Made my first video in 1976, A long term programme maker, DP, editing etc - changing with AR/VR/MR media -

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheppard
Re: MAC UPGRADE - Will the Mojave firmware upgrade on a mid 2010 tower disallow other boot drives in sierra to work?
on Apr 8, 2020 at 8:43:01 pm

A section in the first post of this MacRumors thread answers your question I believe. I’ve copied and pasted that section here for your convenience, since the post is very, very long:

----------------------------------------

- 144.0.0.0.0 and previous macOS releases note:

Yes, BootROM 144.0.0.0.0 can boot even 10.6.8, no problem, but you are limited to GPU driver support since you can't boot a macOS versions that don't have drivers for your GPU. For example, with AMD RX 4xx/5xx GPUs, you are limited to 10.12.6/10.13/10.14.​

----------------------------------------

Note the portion in bold. According to this, you should be good to boot into Sierra with the 144.0.0.0.0 firmware since it works all the way back to Snow Leopard (with the GPU caveats noted by the OP).

Here is the link to the thread for your reference. It has a lot of helpful info and I highly recommend reading it thoroughly:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mp5-1-what-you-have-to-do-to-upgrade-t...

I intend to upgrade my (flashed to 5,1) Mac Pro to Mojave as well, once I get a Metal-compatible GPU.

Return to posts index

Terry Flaxton
Re: MAC UPGRADE - Will the Mojave firmware upgrade on a mid 2010 tower disallow other boot drives in sierra to work?
on Apr 24, 2020 at 3:43:04 pm

Thanks for this info....

Made my first video in 1976, A long term programme maker, DP, editing etc - changing with AR/VR/MR media -

Return to posts index

Patrick Sheppard
on Apr 24, 2020 at 4:48:44 pm

You're welcome! ☺ Yes, it can be challenging to keep up with the pace of technology changes these days. I happened to be researching along these lines because I'm planning to upgrade my legacy Mac Pro to Mojave, but I have to get a Metal-compatible GPU first and update the firmware.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]