MAC OS X: Forum

new MacPro - can I use my current MacPro 5,1 as a drive bay for the new one?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Huppe
new MacPro - can I use my current MacPro 5,1 as a drive bay for the new one?
on Aug 7, 2019 at 2:26:48 pm

Hi all,

Not sure this is the place for this Q. Apologies if not.

Looking ahead at the new MacPro. It won't have any drive bays in it :(. I love that about my 5,1. So I guess it means having to buy drive bays / Raid enclosure.

Can I use my current MacPro 5,1 as a drive bay for the new one? How would I need to configure it to do so and would I be able to get max speed out of it this way? Seems logical to try and use it for something instead of dropping $ on a new enclosure.

thanks
Paul

Return to posts index

Sam Treadway
Re: new MacPro - can I use my current MacPro 5,1 as a drive bay for the new one?
on Aug 8, 2019 at 1:29:23 am

The new Mac Pro doesn't ship with it but there is a space available and a few configurations from Promise will be available around the time the Mac Pro ships:
https://www.promise.com/us/Promotion/PegasusStorage

Return to posts index

Paul Huppe
Re: new MacPro - can I use my current MacPro 5,1 as a drive bay for the new one?
on Aug 8, 2019 at 1:12:18 pm

Right - I knew about the Pegasus option... was hoping to avoid having to buy a second box.
Still looking for a way to make my current 5,1 the drive enclosure.

Return to posts index

Doug Metz
on Aug 29, 2019 at 9:03:09 pm
Last Edited By Doug Metz on Aug 29, 2019 at 9:04:39 pm

[Paul Huppe] "Can I use my current MacPro 5,1 as a drive bay for the new one? How would I need to configure it to do so and would I be able to get max speed out of it this way?"

There just isn't a good way to do this. You can either run it as a file server over the network, and doing that in any meaningful way would mean spending a pile of money on a 10GbE card (to run on the outdated OS), or you could try some kind of unreliable case mod. Either way, the internals on the 5,1 are old and slow by today's standards. Target Disk Mode would only allow access to the boot drive, and only over FireWIre 800, and fans run full the whole time.

It's just not worth it for what you'd end up with. Better long-term to go RAID, either internal or TB3. Or USB 3 NVMe SSDs. They're quick!

EDIT: Sam's Pegasus suggestion is an internal option, not an external box.

Doug Metz

Dalton Agency

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]