MAC OS X: Forum

Backing up camera cards with finder

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Withers
Backing up camera cards with finder
on Nov 20, 2018 at 11:36:14 pm

Using a macbook air with mojave, I dragged a camera card (full card with directory structure) to copy the data to each of 3 external hard drives for backup. According to "Get Info" there is a slight difference in storage used between the camera card and the 3 backup folders (59.43G vs. 59.35G.) Same internal file folders (including hidden), same number of clips -- but that's almost a Gig of data. (Disk Utilities shows a _very slightly_ different amount if storage used on the card from Get Info.) I'm wondering -- is my card correctly backed up? Is there missing data.
After an arithmetically challenged conversation with an apple rep, I got a second-hand comment passed along from a supervisor that these will read slightly differently because they have different drive formats. It's true, the Sony Card has EXFAT format and the external drives are Mac OS Extended. Will that make stored data read differently? Is there a way to confirm all the data has been copied without using a dedicated software solution that does much more than I need? With terminal perhaps? The card works perfectly with current Sony and Panasonic cameras we use so I don't know if I want to reformat it.
Thanks for any thoughts,
Robert

Robert Withers

Independent/personal/avant-garde cinema, New York City

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
Re: Backing up camera cards with finder
on Nov 21, 2018 at 12:47:52 am

I see DaVinci Resolve has an option called Clone Tool that is supposed to back up cards and do a checksum. Will explore to see if this will work independently of the NLE. Meanwhile, can I somehow check the 3 backups I made?

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 21, 2018 at 7:08:28 am

Yes, it is due to different formatting, therefore differing BLOCK SIZES of each disk. That very minor discrepancy is therefore hardly anything to worry about. But then why don't you simply use FCP's ARCHIVE feature? Otherwise something like Hedge?

- RK

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Nov 21, 2018 at 3:47:49 pm

Thanks, RK. That's the first specific explanation (BLOCK SIZES) anyone has offered as to why the data numbers are different.

To answer your questions ("why don't I simply"), I don't use FCP anymore since FCP7 because I prefer a track-based NLE (Premiere Pro most recently) but am trying out Resolve which I've learned has a Clone Tool that supposedly copies cards and does a checksum. I've avoided software that has bells and whistles I wouldn't need and costs money to buy. Thinking that I could simply use basic OS operations for something as simple as copying files. Not as simple as I thought.

Hedge looks interesting for $129. Nothing on their website suggests checksum or any confirmation of accurate data transfer but I guess it's widely used. I'm not a DIT copying cards all the time on a location. I'm an independent filmmaker copying a few cards every few months on my desk.

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 21, 2018 at 5:11:16 pm

[Robert Withers] "To answer your questions ("why don't I simply"), I don't use FCP anymore since FCP7 because I prefer a track-based NLE "

Well, aside from that of course being very unfortunate, since this was initially posted in the Final Cut Pro X forum (and has been moved for some reason… probably since it doesn't in fact have anything to do with FCP) it stood to reason you were in fact using Final Cut Pro X.

- RK

Return to posts index

Robert Withers
on Nov 22, 2018 at 7:08:32 pm

Thank you, Robin. Your response was very helpful.
Sorry to "mispost" on FCPX, but Creative Cow does not have a discussion group specific to Apple/Mac digital video. So I posted on Apple OSX and FCPX to connect to people who are using digital video on the Mac OS.
Again, thanks for responding!
Best,
Robert

Robert Withers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]