MAC OS X: Forum

Seriously considering the switch over to MAC

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Le
Seriously considering the switch over to MAC
on Aug 10, 2018 at 11:32:48 am

I'm in the market for a new laptop that's a bit more portable than my Y50 and all of my friends are recommending a Macbook Pro.
I'm hesitant to change even though I dislike the new Windows OS but I've also never have touched a Mac in my life.
Also, I know that Sony Vegas can not be run on Macs, so would switching over to Final Cut Pro be a big jump for me?
I've used Vegas for over 10 years and feel very comfortable with it.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Seriously considering the switch over to MAC
on Aug 11, 2018 at 2:34:13 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Aug 11, 2018 at 2:40:21 pm

I answered your Vegas Pro question over on the Vegas forum so I won't repeat that here:

Switching from Vegas to....

As for switching to a Mac, I did that several years ago and don't regret it one bit. In fact, I have to chuckle when I read posts on the Vegas Pro forum with people agonizing over what video card to buy, or what CPU, or how come I bought all this expensive hardware and my 4K video still stutters when I am editing... and I think to myself, "...if you had bought a Mac you would be editing your 4K video by now".

I used a Windows PC for 30+ years. After switching to Mac, you couldn't get me to use Windows again if you paid me. MacOS is just so far superior to Windows in so many ways.

For example: When applications lock up on Windows you almost always have to reboot the machine because Windows can't kill the process. I've opened the Task Manager many times and selected the process and press Kill Process and nothing happens. I press kill again and nothing happens. Finally I have to reboot to get the hung process out of memory. In the past 5 years since I've been using macOS this hasn't happened to me even once. Whenever I need to kill an application that is not responding, I go to the Apple Logo and select Force Quit and within seconds the application is gone without a trace. Windows is so sad, doesn't seem to be capable if killing processes that it created. And any time you install new software it seems you need to reboot Windows. I haven't rebooted my Mac in months. MacOS is built on Unix which allows subsystems to be updated and restarted without the need for a reboot.

Another example: I was editing a Keynote presentation this morning and I exported it as a PDF and reviewed it for submission. I opened it in Preview to check the quality and saw a typo so I want back to Keynote, fixed it and exported it again and switched back to the Preview app and the changes were there already. Not in Windows! Windows would have stopped me cold from exporting the PDF the second time with an error "file is open in another program". Windows is also too stupid to recognize when a file gets moved. In macOS you can open a file that is in your Download folder, then while it's still open in an application, move it to your Documents folder without any issues. Not Windows! Windows would give you an error again when you try to move it that it's "open in another program" (without telling you which program as it open!). There are so many other examples of how the user experience on macOS is far superior to Windows. Need to look inside a file as you browse a folder? on macOS just press the space bar it will show you a preview. On Windows, you must launch the program that opens the file (time consuming and then you have to close it when you just wanted to peek at it).

I just hate whenever I have to touch a Windows computer because it's interface seems clunky and awkward now I'm using macOS for so long. You will have to unlearn some things which are done differently on Mac but in the long run, it's a much better user experience IMHO. Listen to your friends. 😉

BTW, I'm editing with FCP X on 2010 Mac Pro 12-core/24GB memory. That's an 8 year old computer and it runs as fast as the day it was built. I wouldn't recommend doing anything on an 8 year old PC. Mac's last a long time. It's a worthwhile investment.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Kyle Le
on Aug 12, 2018 at 2:54:52 pm

Thank you for your response.

I am looking at the 13 inch 2.5 ghz i5 model. would this be enough to edit?
or should I try to get the 3.0 ghz version? Are i5 good enough for video editing

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 12, 2018 at 5:14:00 pm

[Kyle Le] "Are i5 good enough for video editing"
It depends on what kind of video you want to edit. For HD the Core i5 fine. For 4K, I would go with an i7.

BTW, Apple is about to come out with new MacBook Pro's based on the Core i9 6-core. You might want to wait for one of those or wait for sales on the i5's. B&H and Best Buy have been having sales lately.

~jr

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 17, 2018 at 11:36:50 am

Another place to look for good deals on Mac's is Other World Computing (OWC). I have bought several Mac's and a lot of Mac accessories from them. Right now they have a sale on refurbished MacBook Pros. Here is an Apple MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) 2.5GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB 5,400RPM HDD, Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 1GB of VRAM that originally sold for $1,199.00 for only $579.00 USD. I don't know what your budget is but they have a wide variety of used Macs at all price points. They have 2009 Mac Pro's starting at $459 for a 4-Core, $975 for a 6-Core, or $1089 for an 8-Core. I myself edit on a 2010 Mac Pro 12-Core and it is still going strong.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]