MAC OS X: Forum

Little mystery: Quicktime could open .mov files on the original CF card, but won't open the same file after disc-imaging

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy YoungLittle mystery: Quicktime could open .mov files on the original CF card, but won't open the same file after disc-imaging
by on Jul 28, 2016 at 3:04:56 pm

This started about a week ago. It's a double-click issue.

1. I double-click a .mov file on a CF card after filming. Opens fine.
2. Then I make a disc image of the CF card (not a drag-and-drop of the files).
3. Then I double-click the disk image, and double-click the same (or any, actually) .mov files.
4. But QT (10.4) gives an error and "The document xxx.mov could not be opened. The file may be damaged or may not be a movie file that is compatible with QuickTime Player."

If I "Open file..." from within Quicktime, QT will open the file. (But that's a bit of a workflow hiccup, if I'm just clicking around to check things..) It also always works with double-clicking in VLC (if I change all .movs to open with VLC and not Quicktime).

The clips also open fine in PPro.

Just a mystery to me, as it's never happened in 5+ years. But I find QT to be squirrelier as the years go by.

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: Little mystery: Quicktime could open .mov files on the original CF card, but won't open the same file after disc-imaging
by on Aug 1, 2016 at 12:51:21 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Aug 1, 2016 at 12:51:34 pm

[Amy Young] "Just a mystery to me, as it's never happened in 5+ years. But I find QT to be squirrelier as the years go by."

Amy, that is definitely odd, and definitely sounds like a bug. Probably the path being passed to QuickTime when you double-click has an issue. Unfortunately, this sounds like the kind of thing you'll have to wait for a patch or Sierra to fix (assuming you are on El Cap?)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]