MAC OS X: Forum

2013 Mac Pro hardware problems on multiple machines

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Richardson2013 Mac Pro hardware problems on multiple machines
by on May 18, 2016 at 6:54:42 am
Last Edited By Victor Richardson on May 18, 2016 at 6:47:31 pm

We have four 2013 12-core Mac Pros. All have been in for repairs more than once. Three have had both AMD video cards replaced($570). There is an unannounced, internal, Apple recall on MP's with those video cards manufactured between February 8, 2015 and April 11, 2015. So, they will replace those for free.....if you know to demand it. Apple does not publicly acknowledge, or announce, the recall.

So, one was replaced via the recall, but two that were manufactured outside that four month window, we had to pay for - even though they exhibited the exact same technical problems(crashing until video completely fails) and crash reports as the one within the period. One of those three, was actually replaced with an entirely new Mac Pro - and that one's video cards failed.

Two have had critical RAM slot failure(there's a processor on the holder). One of the two has had this happen twice. That repair is $1,200. BTW, we've had a machine in the shop for repairs each of the last three months.

This doesn't take into account the countless hours of work lost due crashes and reboots. Generally, these always happen during Adobe Cloud Premiere Pro renders/exports. So, 1-3 hours is lost when the render/export has to be done again. How do we know for sure this is a Mac Pro problem?(besides crash logs) Because we can take all of the projects that crash the Mac Pros, open them on one of our four 27" iMacs, and they render/exports perfectly fine.

To say this is unacceptable on $8k-10k machines is an understatement.

Has anyone else had these problems with their 2013 Mac Pros?

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: 2013 Mac Pro hardware problems on multiple machines
by on Jul 21, 2016 at 12:54:27 am

[Victor Richardson] "Has anyone else had these problems with their 2013 Mac Pros?"

Sorry to hear about this, Victor. I am in the market for a Mac Pro, but I have heard lots of stories similar to yours and there's no way I'm paying the premium for these machines. Especially considering that, given your downtime, Apple should have continuously fixed all of your machines at no cost to you.

Return to posts index

Victor RichardsonRe: 2013 Mac Pro hardware problems on multiple machines
by on Jul 21, 2016 at 2:40:50 am

Guess what? I just made another service appointment for a particular Mac Pro that I just got back a month ago(replace RAM riser at $1,200). This will be the 4th repair to this particular machine. What's even worse, is that this machine is actually a full replacement for an original MP that bricked 2 months from new.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2016 at 2:29:54 pm

That astounding. And not in the positive sense of that word. :-/

Return to posts index

Victor RichardsonRe: 2013 Mac Pro hardware problems on multiple machines
by on Jul 23, 2016 at 2:43:26 pm

Beyond the continuous crashes, reboots, and outright video card/RAM Riser failures.....there is also a serious problem with export/render artifacts in (at least) Adobe Premier Pro. We find lots of glitches and horizontal color lines extending across the frame. And of course, you don't realize that until AFTER an hour or two export. Then, have to start over again

We can take the exact same Adobe projects, render and export them on any of our 27" iMacs an everything is perfect...just takes longer

Return to posts index

by on Jul 24, 2016 at 12:24:08 am

[Victor Richardson] "here is also a serious problem with export/render artifacts in (at least) Adobe Premier Pro. We find lots of glitches and horizontal color lines extending across the frame. And of course, you don't realize that until AFTER an hour or two export. Then, have to start over again"

This is what I find intolerable. This past Monday I had three renders that took 3-4 hours each. Finding out that there were problems with the renders after the fact due to issues like this would have really not set well with me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]