MAC OS X: Forum

what the hell is going on with QT Player?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike janowski
what the hell is going on with QT Player?
on May 5, 2016 at 3:04:02 pm

As if it couldn't get much crappier, somehow it it.

OS 10.9.5, QT Player 10.3. Seems to work the same way on my home system (OS 10.11, with whatever the most current release of QTP is...)

I mean, come on. Apple creates a great little tool, "Quick View"...but when I slap the space bar on my graphics files (QT, Animation codec) to get a quick look...I get the blank, generic screen, telling me it's a movie file.

No sheet, Sherlock. Why doesn't it play the files in QuickView anymore? Why does it need to "convert" the files in order to play them when I more properly open them in QTP?

And for a 25 point bonus, how can I tell AE (where I create these graphics) to specify that they're QT7Pro files, so I can avoid using this piece of crap?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: what the hell is going on with QT Player?
on May 5, 2016 at 10:06:56 pm

This happened back in 2013.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/71/863688

Try ProRes 4444 w alpha (if that's why you're using animation) instead. It was a pain to deal with back in 2013 but we converted everything here under the sun to ProRes. It took a week or two but life was much easier.

You can also view these things in Compressor if needed. Not great but it's bearable.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Mike janowski
on May 6, 2016 at 5:16:54 am

Thanks for the response.

Actually, I can view them quite fine in QT7. I just can't Quick View them.

I guess my post was more of a rant, hocking a loogie into the wind if you will...why would Apple build a "Player" that won't play?

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on May 7, 2016 at 12:39:54 am

Apple is abandoning QT Pro

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Mike janowski
on May 7, 2016 at 4:06:46 am

Well, yes, I know that QT7pro is a legacy. But it's a nice legacy, and IT works fine.

It's that damn QTPlayer. Acting weirdly.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on May 7, 2016 at 7:29:18 am

The QT player is not a pro app. The older FCP versions (before FCPX) are Quicktime based so if you are still in there, use QT Pro.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Jul 19, 2016 at 10:34:07 am

The QT Player will convert them to a format it can recognize. It's a 64bit application trying to run a video file built to view in a 32 bit memory space, in a format that's no longer playable in the new codec. It can reconfigure the video to a new format, which takes time, but it will match it as best it can, and play it without much alteration. The two formats are highly similar. But some of the header is very different, and the numbering of certain values is calculated differently ( or at least represented by different memory sizes). While it cannot play, it can be converted to a newer format that will play. I wouldn't count on that for long, though.
By the way, PRO RES is quicktime, they're not abandoning it, their just upgrading it so you don't have to buy another program to work with these codecs. Before you had to have Quicktime, Compressor, Final cut. Now if you have compressor or final cut, you can use the codecs to encode. If you have quicktime player, it will convert the video to pro-res or mp4 and play back either one. However, the older codecs are not supported for playback, as their trying to keep the playback code small, but because those codecs are so similar to the new, it only takes a single pass to convert videos. If you can find the old codecs and put them in their old locations, you might get back the quick look. It's iffy. I use several versions of CS and CC so I have to have both sets to work with prores across them. I also have to have compressor. If I want to output dolby properly, I use logic and Final cut.
You have to be able to function in a cross compatible workflow world. Some things you'll have to do yourself instead of moving right into another app. Get used to it.

Also, In light of recent problems found with audition, consider the following:
Make a Batch file in windows that will
1. take a dropped file as input(your session file will do)
2. get the parent folder (the whole structure is important)--this is the folder where your session is, along with the folder containing your audio files that you record.
3. periodically non-destructively (as in not deleting files that are no longer in the first folder) Mirror the contents of the parent folder to another location anywhere on any drive (every 2-5 minutes works) and make sure you set this folder, or you can simply use the parent folder of the original file and add a Backup folder inside,
4. then just continually make backups using a forever loop (Condition is always true like While 1==1). You can close it when you close audition by simply closing the Command prompt window. You won't lose everything even if you crash, after all, audition cannot delete what it knows nothing about.

On mac open automator:
start by making an application--call it BackupStart. create 2 Path variables: SessionFile, ParentFolder. These will be what you use to grab your files. Create more Path variables with names similar to BackupFolder#, where # is the number of which backup folder. You can now Set Variable Value (in actions library) for the path Session file as your first action (this will catch the path of the file you drop on the app). Next, run a shell script in Bash (an action in utilities or system), and set STDIN to Arguments. Clear everything in the shell, and type: dirname "$1" Exactly as shown (don't replace dirname, it's a command that grabs the name of the parent folder of the file you just dropped in. Add another Set Variable action for ParentFolder. Now use an ASK for finder items action, and look in it's options to "Ignore this items input" and check the box. Add a Set Variable for BackupFolder1. Repeat for each BackupFolder variable you have (ask for folder, set variable). Now add a GET VARIABLE action, go to options and select "Ignore input" again, make sure you are GETting the ParentFolder variable. Now another GET Variable for Backupfolder1, but DONT ignore input (you want the two to pass into one another and continue on). Repeat this last op for each BackupFolder variable, leaving the ignore input unchecked to group them all together. Now add a RUN WORKFLOW action and turn off "Wait for workflow to finish". Save this file, leave it open, and go to file Duplicate. Rename the duplicate BackupLoop1. File >Convert this doc to a Workflow. Delete the variable SessionFile from this document and all but the very last of the actions(Run Workflow). The other variables are still necessary. Everything we add should be above the RUN WorkFlow action. Use a Get Variable on your ParentFolder, and as before, do not check ignore input. You need this to run straight through from the first document. Add the GET Variable for your backups. Add a Shell Script in Bash, with STDIN set to Arguments. Clear the script box, and type:
rsync -vau "$1/" "$2/" (enter)
rsync -vau "$2/" "$3/" (enter)
The first line copies your parent folder's contents, the second copies the first backup to the second. You can continue this until you have handled every backup in the script. Apply a PAUSE action for a few seconds. Now add a Loop Action, and set it to run 50 or more times (applies a wait time until finish) and set it to use the same input. This will continually backup all your data as you record, and when you hit stop, you should get a copy of your audio almost immediately after, done by your system, and making the RAW file data into a finished file set. Now add the GET VARIABLE set again for all your variables, ignoring the input of the first one, but keeping it for the others. Point them into the last action of RUN WorkFlow. Again, Duplicate the document, call it BackupLoop2. Change the Run Workflow in this file so it points to where you saved BackupLoop1. Change the RUN WorkFlow in BackupLoop1 to point to BackupLoop2. Change the Run Workflow in BackupStart to point to BackupLoop1 and place BackupStart in your DOCK. When you get ready to record, drop the session file onto your dock icon, pick your backup folder(s), and then let it go. Hit record, and when you hit stop, wait a few seconds for it to end the raw file tags. Now check your backup folder. You should have a perfect WAV capture there.

IF audition crashes, you can drag the files in your backup folder to the original place and continue.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]