MAC OS X: Forum

SSD Recommendations for 2010 Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter toursSSD Recommendations for 2010 Mac Pro
by on Jan 26, 2016 at 8:33:44 pm

I have a 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93 used almost exclusively for CC and am ready to jump to an SSD system drive.

Please suggest the best for the purpose. It has to be SATA mount (drive bay) as my slots are full or would go w PCIE mount.

Is there any benefit to buying a 6gbs SSD when my system is only 3gbs?

When I install the SSD I will also be updating from Mavericks to El Capitan which I understand puts the TRIM issue to rest.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

TRI EA5 1974-1977
Convergence ECS1B 1977-1979
Sony BVE 500 1979 - 1984
Datatron Vanguard 1984 - 1993
GVG VPE141 1993 - 1998
Media 100 1995 - 2006
Final Cut Pro 2005 2012
Adobe Creative Cloud

Return to posts index

John RofranoRe: SSD Recommendations for 2010 Mac Pro
by on Jan 31, 2016 at 3:10:45 pm

[peter tours] "I have a 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93"
Me too! ;-) (still has a lot of life left in it!)
[peter tours] "Please suggest the best for the purpose. It has to be SATA mount (drive bay) as my slots are full or would go w PCIE mount."
PCIe would give you several benefits. I bought an OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 PCI Express SSD and not only is the SSD incredibly fast, it also adds 6Gb SATA III to my 2010 Mac Pro via eSATA ports. So my external RAID 5 is connected via 6GB eSATA. I realize that you don't have an empty PCIe slot but I just wanted to give you something to weight your options against. Maybe one of the PCIe cards is not as beneficial as getting 6GB SATA III.

If you want to stay with your internal SATA II bays, then the Samsung EVO SSD's are good performers. I have the Samsung 850 EVO Pro in my 2008 Mac Pro and it's working out great. Even though it runs at 3GB/s, it was like getting a new Mac when I put it in compared to an HDD. It really made a huge difference.
[peter tours] "Is there any benefit to buying a 6gbs SSD when my system is only 3gbs?"
Nope, not if you are using the internal SATA II bays. OWC probably has some older 3GB/s SSD's for sale but most everyone else is only selling the 6GB/s SSD's these days.
[peter tours] "When I install the SSD I will also be updating from Mavericks to El Capitan which I understand puts the TRIM issue to rest."
I'm not sure that will happen automatically. You may still need to use the trimforce command to manually enable it. Here is an article on how to accomplish this:

How to Enable TRIM on Third Party SSDs in Mac OS X with trimforce

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]