MAC OS X: Forum

Freeing Up Space

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew thompsonFreeing Up Space
by on Oct 27, 2015 at 3:43:16 am

Hi there,

Tying to free up space on my ibook and came across something that does not add up. The info panel of my "Users" Folder indicates the size to be about 60gb but when i add up the individual file size of the folders inside "Users", the amount comes out a fraction of that. Any idea whats going on here? What am I overlooking?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

John RofranoRe: Freeing Up Space
by on Oct 28, 2015 at 3:30:04 am

[andrew thompson] "The info panel of my "Users" Folder indicates the size to be about 60gb but when i add up the individual file size of the folders inside "Users", the amount comes out a fraction of that. Any idea whats going on here? What am I overlooking?"
What you are overlooking is that you are comparing the entire /Users/ folder to just your /Users/andrewthompson/ folder (i.e., one is all users and the other is just your user account). There is also a /Users/Shared/ folder where applications just love to store gigabytes of data that can be shared by all users on your Mac. Also if you have any other users on your Mac, you are not taking them into account in your calculations.

What you want to do in the Finder is use the menu option Go | Computer ⇧⌘C then double-click on Macintosh HD, then double-click on Users and that will show you *everything* under /Users/

First, here is an easy way to calculate space without having to open all those folders in your screen capture:

In Finder on your home folder list, use the menu option View | Show View Options ⌘J and you will see this window:

Check Calculate all sizes and optionally press Use as Defaults and your home folder list view will always calculate the size of your folders for you.

Like this: ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]