MAC OS X: Forum

FAT32 flash drive issue

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
FAT32 flash drive issue
on Oct 9, 2015 at 1:18:09 am

(I've also posted this in the Windows forum.)

I'm running into issues when interchanging USB flash drives between various computers. These are all formatted as FAT32 in sizes of 2GB, 4GB and 8GB. My Mac Pro reads and writes to these fine. Sometimes my Dell PC (Windows 7) has problems with some of these.

When it has issues, the drive shows up as empty and is named FAT32. Often this happens when I add material from the Mac and then move the drive to the PC. However, it also sometimes happens when my wife saves files from her work using a Windows 10 machine. Then occasionally she gets the same problem - no files visible and name changed to FAT32.

So it doesn't seem like a Mac/PC corruption issue. Has anyone run into this problem? Thoughts? Problem with the Dell? Other?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
Re: FAT32 flash drive issue
on Oct 13, 2015 at 1:37:44 am

Greetings Oliver,

I'm a fan from not to far (Atlantic Beach); have you tried formatting in ExFat? If your drive is 64GB+, it should be formattable as such and is certainly the newer version of "Fat". A 64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro Micro SD card is $50, and the form factor/toughness/transfer is unbeatable (fingernail-size; waterproof, shockproof, x-ray proof; 90MB+ read/write ).
No experience transferring files other than direct from the camera (T2i, GoPro3+) in Fat32 or ExFat, so no help there. Sad to here, for future projects between multiple machines, as I had planned to format an SSD External drive in Fat (although ExFat) just for such needs...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FAT32 flash drive issue
on Oct 13, 2015 at 1:47:12 am

Hi and thanks. I haven't tried anything else. It's now looking like a corruption issue caused by the drive in the commercial scanner that my wife uses at her job. Evidently others have noticed similar issues there.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]